Making your own.?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coffinmaker

Banned
I really would like to have one of those rear STOP lights I see all of the time,but dont want to pay the STUPID price people are asking for them...So I was wondering...isnt it possible to just take a flat light ( seen them on EBAY..)and mask it off and paint STOP on the inside and get the same effect...?

i guess .. my old 73 chevy truck,, i taped the inside off in the shap of the chevy bow tie,, sprayed it with bbq grill paint,, hit the brakes, and ya new i was a chevy,, was a bad idea however if ya was running from the cops,, they could pic ya in a crowd!!!! :DRTD,

You could spray the outside of the light for a reversed effect or to match the color of the body... For instance, I took a set of stock s10 tails and a piece of 2" masking tape and pulled a straight line right through the middle of em and painted em flat black to match the truck... Made it look like I had custom tails w/ 10 min worth of work...

The old STOP school bus lights-semi cool
painting over taillights thus making them less visible-hmmm...
Well I am thinking about the black taillight paint or sheep face covers that late model trucks have and how much harder it is to see the brake lights in the sun. That extreme doesn't seem too "bright"

bright!

an easy enough fix to the brightness factor is to use led bulbs the new bulbs they have out even plug into existing sockets and are 70% brighter than stck older lights. i install them on all my rods just due to the fact that all older lenses are not bright at all

The old STOP school bus lights-semi cool
painting over taillights thus making them less visible-hmmm...
Well I am thinking about the black taillight paint or sheep face covers that late model trucks have and how much harder it is to see the brake lights in the sun. That extreme doesn't seem too "bright"

I agree...check some of the larger junkyards in the area...sometimes they have buses back there. If they do, just yank one off a bus. You might also want to try the local truck-stops.

Stop Light

I think this is the Bus light your talking about. This one came off a 50 Ford School Bus.

Attachments

• New Picture.jpg
    New Picture.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back