Never buy tools from a company that also makes juicers!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motorhead

I was pounding the king pins out of my front axle when the hammer slipped and broke both of the zerk fittings that were on the spindle. I took the spindle off and soaked it in some penetrating oil and went to the Home Depot to get a screw extractor. The only kind they had was a Black and Decker. So I bought the screw extractor and went back home. I took the first broken zerk fitting off successfully and effortlessly. The second one, well, wasn't quite the same. The extractor broke in there.

I spend all morning today trying to get the extractor out of there. I used up about $10 worth of Cobalt drill bits, as well as some diamond burs that I had, and nothing worked. I'll take it to the shop tomorrow and plasma it out. I think the worse that could happen is that I would have to use a larger zerk fitting.

So, the moral of the story is, stay away from Black and Decker. Sorry for the rant! :(

Attachments

• broken extractor.jpg
    broken extractor.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 60
Were they thos left hand twist kind? I quit using those years ago because they are too brittle and a broken off one is...well you know what a pita. I have left hand drill bits and those work pretty well, most of the time they will grab the broken (bolt) and spin it right out. For easy outs I use the square tapered style. They are a little softer and will twist before they break.

Yes, they were the left hand twisty kind. I should have gone to Sears instead and bought the square tapered kind instead, but I didn't know such things existed until a few hours after I broke the extractor in the bolt. I was searching the web and the square ones came up. I ended up buying a set of those square ones from Sears. The set was about $12.

Broken and stripped bolts are a given when you work on these old cars. I'll invest in a set of left hand drill bits.

Oh man, it's a real pain when an extractor or drill bit breaks off and you have to get them out. The big problem with any of the tapered type extractors is that they force the piece you are trying to remove tighter against the part, making it more difficult to extract it. The left handed bits usually just cause a spinning motion and get it out easier, in most cases.

Don

Really sad about the quality of Black & Decker isn't it? They used to manufacture some decent tools! Good luck, I hope you get the extractor out without too much aggravation!:D.CR

I've had good luck with Cleveland EZ-Outs.
Forget the cheap ones.

I drill the hole larger than the chart calls for.
That way, a larger portion of the EZ-out is doing the work.
Haven't broke any since I started doing that. [cl

Really sad about the quality of Black & Decker isn't it? They used to manufacture some decent tools! Good luck, I hope you get the extractor out without too much aggravation!:D.CR

B&D has never been the same since Jack LaLane took over! [ddev

ISore

Dewalt has become as bad as B&D. I have an entire collection of their tools. When I was building you couldn't find any better tool on the market, but now they're just like the rest. I have a Dewalt sawzall with a broken blade stuck inside. I can't get it out, I've tried everything and the funny part is it was a Dewalt blade too![S...CR

They all seem to be getting crappier. For years I bought Craftsman tools because they were good enough for me and the warranty was great. Now, the chrome is not as durable on sockets, and they are thicker and less machined looking. I have old sockets and rachets to compare and the old ones are much better IMO. If one fails they now hand you a rebuilt one from under the counter instead of a brand new one.

Even Snap On has gotten worse. They won't really stand behind their tools 100%, will only rebuild them once. One day at work I treated myself to a new Snap On 3/8 rachet ($ 80) and I like my old one much better. It is slimmer and has a better feel to it. The sockets are also hard to pull off of it, especially with greasy hands. No pushbutton to release the sockets.

Even our Techs at work were complaining because Snap On and Matco wouldn't back up some tool that failed under normal use. Not like the old days, is it? :(

Don

I got the freaking thing out! [cl [cl

I pierced through it with plasma. There was a ball of grease in the bushing hole and as soon as I struck the arc, it blew up. It made a pretty loud popping sound, it was fun! Anyways, I burnt the extractor and nearly half of the zerk fitting. After that it was so loose that I backed it out with a screw driver. The threads also look unharmed, which is awesome. Does anybody know what size zerk fittings I need to get? 1/4-28? tapered?

I'm glad I didn't seriously damage my spindle. Lesson learned!

Attachments

• 2010-04-12 16.09.21.jpg
    2010-04-12 16.09.21.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 10
They all seem to be getting crappier. For years I bought Craftsman tools because they were good enough for me and the warranty was great. Now, the chrome is not as durable on sockets, and they are thicker and less machined looking. I have old sockets and rachets to compare and the old ones are much better IMO. If one fails they now hand you a rebuilt one from under the counter instead of a brand new one.

Even Snap On has gotten worse. They won't really stand behind their tools 100%, will only rebuild them once. One day at work I treated myself to a new Snap On 3/8 rachet ($ 80) and I like my old one much better. It is slimmer and has a better feel to it. The sockets are also hard to pull off of it, especially with greasy hands. No pushbutton to release the sockets.

Even our Techs at work were complaining because Snap On and Matco wouldn't back up some tool that failed under normal use. Not like the old days, is it? :(

Don

I disagree on that. I like alot of the new craftsman and snap on tools. The new professional craftsman wrenches and screw drivers are great. Cheaper then snap on and I like them better. Hell I took my snap on screw drivers home. The craftsman sockes are not to bad either. I have yet to break one and I use mine every day. And I use and inpact on them alot when my tools are a mess and I cant find the right size impact socket first.

Snap on is just to much for me to buy alot of there tools. I have a tool box and there 80 tooth ratchets. I love thoes things. But your right its a pain to get a socket off with a greasy hand.

And as for warranty I never have a problem with both. I get a new tool every time not rebuilds (snap on always rebuilds there ratchets and screw drivers though). Hell I warranted my craftsman extension since the chome can off of it. It must have been ten years old.

I really like OTC tools as well. I have a ton of there pullers slide hammers and all that kinda of tools that I need at work.

But I hate mac and mactco tools. They suck to get any thing replaced and half there tools are made by some one else and they charge twice what the other company wants for it.

Well, my 14" Craftsman cresent that was my dads from around the late 40's early 50's is built a heck of alot beter than the newer ones and it gets used all the time -a salesman at Sears even offered a $100 for the wrench - I just said " I bet you would" I think that the quality of the newer is less - Just about all of the tools I have of my Dads are still with me - except for some of the 7/16 & 9/16 sockets and wrenches - where do those sizes dissapear to ? I'll never know.

Latest posts

Back