New Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redidbull

RRR Supportor
I’m going to be looking to buy a new to me pickup in the future. My old 02 Dakota is rusting out and I don’t even take it on the highway anymore. I need something that we can take places and do dump runs, pickup dirt, etc. I want an 8’ bed so 4door is out. My biggest hurdle is 4WD or RWD. We don’t get snow here in SWCT much anymore and with the RAV4 and Samurai, we will be ok. We are also both going to retire next year so won’t have to go anywhere. Wife talks about getting a boat but figure either will tow it. I’ve been looking at RAM 2500 and Ford F-250. I want something a little heavier than the 1500 and 150. So what are opinions on this all. One thing for sure is RWD is much less money. I’ve been looking at around 5yr old trucks. Thanks. Jim

We are in snow country here, so finding any truck (new or used) that is not a 4x4 is really hard. The RWD trucks are cheaper because there isn't much of a market for them any more, and the future resale value probably looks worse to the current market.

Current advertising has people believing that they need to have a 4x4. If they don't need it to be "safe" in the winter, they will sure need it to go on their off road adventure in the summer, even if they have never been off road in any vehicle in their life, and probable never will be.

As much as I hate to say it, the 4x4 might be a better direction if you think you may need to sell the truck in the future.

I watch the adds in AZ and it seems the RWD's are plentiful plus, they're AZ trucks. I've had good luck with PSD's, two 7.3's and a 6.7 but can't say I'd own another one with a gas motor. (My 6.7 PSD is a fricken monster.)
If I was looking for gas it'd be an LS or a Hemi. Gene's right though, if you need resale value 4wd makes more sense, If I was going to drive it till it died it'd be LS, RWD, Posi.

Latest posts

Back