Please you 50's Kustom Guys HELP!!!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobjobtruck

Hey guys I know I already have 2 projects in front of me but I got a 48 Chevy Slopeback Sedan for free and here is my big question how do I go about chopping the top on this thing, yes it will be my first of these and yes I will take my time I just need to know how to go about chopping it so the slope stays consistent. Iwant to really chop the hell out of it so please please help.
Thanks

i would be more than happy to help [if i can ]
How much of a chop[can be taken and how much do you like ?]
Do you need to save the back window [most people do on these typs]
Is it a four door ?
I'm sorry about all the questions but it will help me to help you [if you understand what i mean]
I would plane on laying the top down forward when i chopped it and save the rear window[laying it down and reshaping around it.] and then reshape the door tops to mach up .
these are basic suggestions ,sense i dont know for sure what you want it to look like ?but i will say that the more radical the chop the more work and thought will need to be put into it[mostly depends on head room ,how tall you are ,and what look you want to acheave]
For example 4'' may be easy ,but 8'' may change the whole way that you have to go about the chop ,and to me a ratical chop only looks good on a raticaly low rod ,so think how low that you can get it to set then figure it into the chop that you want?
Sorry for rambling on so ,but would love to help if i can ,and be sure to show some pics of the process when you get started .
Oh yea ,have you got the tex smiths ''how to chop tops'' book yet?

Hey sorry about the lack of info there. It is a 2 door with the roll down windows in the back (everyone keeps calling them Tommy Gun windows). I would love to go for that 50 Ford or Merc style low low chop. As far as getting it to the ground some previous owner has a 62 Impala front clip on it so putting it on the ground won't be a problem. I want it super low tail dragger style all the way around.I plan on changing to either some 49-53 Chevy rear fenders or maybe 54-56 Chevy or Packard fenders and then change the grille and opening to a 50's style from a Chevy or Desoto etc. I definetly want to lay the rear window down I am just worried about ruining the shape of the slope (God why couldn't it be a coupe haha).So I guess would I cut into 4 pieces bring it down lay the rear window in as much as I can without ruining that bodyline(slope) and then slant the A pillars and then tackle the doors? I really appreiciate the enthusiasm and willingness to help and as soon as I figure out how to go about it I will definitly post pics.

keep in mind that the 50's style tail draggers usually cut more out of the back of the chop than the front to make it look lwwer in the rear.[need to find some bubble skirts too !!]
Sounds like youve got most of it figured out already anyways but just take your time and plane this chop and it will turn out great !
i love the 50's style too !

Hey Chopper Tom I really appreciate it and I didn't know that about the tail draggers so thanks. And I will definitly be skirting the rear fenders and running lake pipes (just can't get enough of those lake pipes!) . I kind of have this idea of mixing the kustom look with what I think this car would look like if somebody used it as a salt flat racer(the local auto yard has a couple of Cadillac 500's). I even thought about if I can find a good how to or a good book maybe even sectioning the entire body about 3-4 inches but I just don't know about jumping into that just yet.I do have a couple of last questions #1 should I cut the top into 4 or 6 pieces and #2 were should I make the cut across the rear should I do it about 4-6 inches below the back glass?

They do look good chopped........................

Attachments

• kustoms_www_huffreport_com_lowchevy2.jpg
    kustoms_www_huffreport_com_lowchevy2.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 1948-Chevy.jpg
    1948-Chevy.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 44
Only adfvice i can give without being there to help is to take it one step at a time and dont cut any thing till you know for sure it needs to be [sence you wanna make the back flow to the rest of the chop ,cut around the window first and then lay the top down forward] then you will have to follow threw with what it needs as you go .
I would try to find some pics of some one who has chopped one [or at least similar to it]
I'll try to help you find info on it if i can , i'm kinda saprised that the others have not jumped in and tryed to help too.must be the holliday weekend has everyone tied up?
Try to find your self a how to chop tops book from tex smith ,theres a lot of info in there!

Will do on the advice for the back below the glass, man if I could make it up there to you I would definitly take that shoebox off your hands that is hands down my dream kustom. I have never feel into the Merc crowd I can remember being 9 years old in Pine Island FL and seeing one for the first time skirtted dragging tail and lake pipes and thinking that was the most awesome thing I had ever seen and have wanted one ever since

Bobjobtruck; Go on EBAY and get you a Tex Smith How to chop a top, I've got one and it really has a LOT of great info in it. I'm about to start my chop on my 50f1 and I'll be on here asking a lot of Q's when I start. Mine will be no where near as tuff as yours. Good luck.

Thanks for all the help guys and I will definitly pick up that Tex Smith book. But now I am wondering how it would look as a gasser and maybe save the chopping for when I find a 50 Ford. Hell I don't know I am confused on what to do.

Ok forget the gasser idea I am going to stick to doing a kustom with this one but does anyone know if the fenders and hood off a 49-53 chevy wil fit if not I think I will go with 47-48 buick front clip and doors. But if anyone knows please give me a shout. Thanks

Sometimes the secret to chopping a top is to NOT chop it a lot, but just a couple or few inches. If you go too much it upsets the proportions. We have all seen chops where the top looks like an elephant sat on it and squashed it down. I just saw one in particular like that at BP. It would have looked great if he hadn't gone nuts on the chop.

Just my opinion.

Don

Thanks guys and Don I agree with you I need to really look at it, I might do 3.5" to 4.5" somewhere in that area and Gas thanks for that link it did help. Well guys I have a line on a 48 Buick More door sitting in a field that is all there so I am thinking about using the front end or maybe build it and use the 48 Chevy as a parts car since the buick is more complete and original. I kinda of dig the 4 door idea as well or maybe it can be another project (god help me I just need to stick to something and finish it)

Latest posts

Back