Resistor Help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cycledog

A really rusty biker
I am trying to get my engine set up to start to see if it will run. The coil I got has printed on it: external resistor not required.

Does this mean I do not have to run a ballast resistor even though I have point ignition, can or should I run a resistor or should I get a coil that requires a resistor??

Also can I assume that all resistors are the same? I have a dead Dodge pu I can take a ballast resistor off of.

Thanks,
C-Dog

If you run it without the resistor and the points burn or melt, then you should have used the resistor. Not trying to be a smart guy, but that is what I'd do. I think there are at least two different values of ballast resistor. I use them interchangably, because I think there isn't that much difference in them. Never had a problem and all my rods have points ignitions.

If you run it without the resistor and the points burn or melt, then you should have used the resistor. Not trying to be a smart guy, but that is what I'd do. I think there are at least two different values of ballast resistor. I use them interchangably, because I think there isn't that much difference in them. Never had a problem and all my rods have points ignitions.

lol that makes too much sense. I guess I never looked at it that way.

Coil Resistor

A resistor isn't needed with that coil, it's built in. If you put a resistor inline with it, it will cut the voltage down so far it may not have much of a spark. Resistors knock the voltage down to approx. 8 volt. If you put 12 volt continuously to a none built-in resistor coil, it will heat up and fail.

However, if you use a coil without the built in resistor, you can, and should provide 12 volt to it when your cranking the engine over to start. Take a look at the solenode, should have a extra terminal that will show 12 volt power when you crank over the engine. As soon as you release the key and it springs back to the run position, that terminal will go dead. The wire from the ignition switch, with the resistor inline, will supply the coil with the required 8 volt to keep the engine running while the key switch is in the run position.

So, internal resistor coil, 1 wire required, ....external resistor coil, 2 wires required, one from the key switch with the resistor so you have 8 volt for continuous use. And one from the solenode, so you have 12 volt at start up. Both of these wires are hooked up to the same terminal on the coil :) Sniper

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back