steering suggestions ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyotb8

Hey Guys, I'm trying to plan out the steering for my 39 plymouth pick up. I want to retain the straight axle and leaf springs, but need a better steering box. It's gonna have a old hemi in it, so space may be a bit tight. Never built a rod from scratch before, but have rebuilt some musclecars years ago.

Looks like a reversed corvair box will work with the a drag link similar to OEM, but will a new box like that support the weight ? I estimate truck to weigh about 3100-3200 with the hemi. I want to keep manual steering, it's gonna be an old school rod with a rusty body. I prefer to not use the "easy" way and put a complete MII front end on it, I'd like to keep it simple and vintage. Any input is greatly appreciated. I'd like to only build it once ! Thanks for reading this newbie's question !!!

In one of my 1970's car magazines they did a feature on stering boxes. It was recommended that Corvair boxes be limited to light rods like T Buckets and such.

Thanks, Bob. I was afraid of the reversed corvair box not being strong enough. I may use a '60's mopar aluminum box or a toyota truck box from the late 70's. Anyone else care to offer an opinion ?

The yota box should work well. I've used Datsun, Mazda and Mitsubichi boxes turned sideways, all with good success. I had to bend the arms on them, and it seems like they had to be mounted below the frame with the arms up to turn properly. That worked fine where the frame Zed up, so the box was not in danger of hitting the pavement.

PA41

Latest posts

Back