Ford 3 sp tailshaft..... HELP!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custom cabby

Okay, follow me on this....

'68 F100 3 speed manual trans backing 360 FE

When I lowered my truck it pushed the driveshaft far enough up into the tranny to butt the yoke up against the tailshaft and create some damage to the seal and the tailshaft. So, while replacing the output shaft seal, I was faced with a lip where the metal was damaged under the seal. I tried to file on this a bit to allow the new seal to seat in properly. No luck because I believe the diameter of the shaft where the seal seats has been distorted possibly by the heat caused by friction or the blow from the driveshaft when I experienced axle wrap one day (which resulted in having to have a custom driveshaft made). So........... I need a new tailshaft, unless you guys can give me any pointers on what to do to cure this issue and allow a new seal to seat. Any suggestions welcome.

WOW!!!! Talk about a headache! After 3 seals, 2 destroyed Dremel bits and about 3 hours total..... It's in! And if it should decide to leak, ..... haven't gotten that far to figure it out... fingers crossed. Thanks guys

tail shaft

u have probaly figured it out but your drive shaft was too long to start with.
most have 3/4" minimum & some have over an inch of travel so u wont bottom out the yoke onto the tail shaft

Latest posts

Back