1946 Ford Truck over S10 Frame.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that is all far too shiney and clean! LOL. Seriously, nice work you are doing there. I would love to be able to sandblast the whole frame before starting. Moisture up here would have it back in rust in about 2 days. [P

the cool style Ford trucks

Thank you AaronOregon for the lessons. I too have an S-10 and a 47 Ford truck to marry. My truck has been brought home three times and sold twice, so I better keep it now forever. Here's another thought on newer frames, I am just putting the final touches on a '36 pick-up mounted on a Ranger frame and that worked darn good, except the flathead motor mount is very close to the steering box. If a guy would put a SBC in his Ford the motor mounts would be out of the way. Keep on tinkering.

I have the cab back on and have been doing the transmission tunnel inside. I will get it finished up tonight. I used 16 gauge on the floor and 18 gauge for the tunnel. It is very workable. I also went in underneath with a floor support and a driveshaft loop for safety. I also got the radiator shroud made and on for the 16" electric fan.

IMG_1276_zps9f83788e.jpg

IMG275_zpsc884c948.jpg

IMG_1271_zps22153862.jpg

cleanliness is next to godliness

But this is just wrong. How do you get anything
done and keep everything picked up and clean.

Something must be wrong with me cause my
shop looks like a bomb went off in it when I'm
working in it.

Great build keep up the good work and the pics.

Love it.

POPS

I am trying to tie up loose ends. I got the "fly-by-wire" spoon throttle in and the brake boost/pedal assembly. I decided to go with a hangar that is an 8" dual-diaphragm for the 4 wheel disk brake setup. I also got the tunnel finished up with the Lokar shifter in and functional (waiting on the boot). I am waiting on bearings and steering column parts, so it is on hold. Trying to decide what to use for a wheel. The stocker is kinda big! I am also currently looking for the gauges I want to use in the installed dash panel. Since the above bench seat didn't work out because of the length, I found these bucket seats for $60. I really like the way they cover the back wall of the cab. They look very proportioned to the interior and have a nice "rat" look to them. They will be getting mounted tomorrow. I am also going to bring the bed in to start the work on raising the floor to accommodate the kick-up in the S10 frame. It will have a pretty shallow floor with a compartment up front, down below to house the battery box etc..

IMG292_zps549c3e2e.jpg

IMG306_zps5414b034.jpg

IMG290_zps2997dbff.jpg

That is looking really good, the floor came out nice and clean, and the seats look like they were made for that truck! The buttons give it a little throw back style too.

Been plugging away at all the small stuff. I got the heater/defroster in the cab and the hoses plumbed to it, power steering all wrapped up, lower radiator hose on, all fluids in the engine, seat frames and mounts made, got all the new tinted glass being cut with new rubber and seals on the way, got the bed on and cut over the frame. I have the bed floor figured out how I am going to do it. It will just basically have a raised floor and small tubs for tire-travel clearance. I will have a compartment all the way up front that will flip up and have the battery holder underneath it. The tailgate will get welded to the bed. The floor will end up being about 17 inches deep from the bed-rail. I will throw up pictures as I go. Their is absolutely no doubt about it being a lot of work putting this thing over an S10 frame. It is not for the faint of heart! I want to make sure it is all done right and very reliable though when finished. Here's a couple pictures before the heater install. I am waiting to put the entire front clip on until after I get my engine wiring harness back. It will just be so much easier not leaning over the fenders. I really want to though.........

IMG_1327_zps888ba183.jpg

IMG_1345_zps23c92407.jpg

IMG_1333_zps0470202b.jpg

This is a build anyone would be proud to be doing!! Everything just looks like it fits so well and is really clean!!! And like DR Said the seats with the buttons fit it really well....

I have been gone for a couple weeks down south so lost some time on the build, but now am back at it. Before I started running the supports for the bed floor, I decided I needed to throw the front end on to make sure my running boards looked ok between the fenders. Wouldn't want the rear being lower than the front! I am in the process of finishing up the bed floor supports now. I think I am going to go with old barn wood for flooring because I am trying to match the look of the truck the best I can. Not 100% sure yet, but am leaning that way. Anyways, it is coming together. Glass is going in today. I did decide to tint it after install so the tint doesn't get scratched while dropping down in the doors, etc.. I am hoping to have it running by mid-March.

IMG_1405_zpsdcafe99a.jpg

IMG_1407_zps8f948d99.jpg

IMG_1411_zpsa7bab8ee.jpg

IMG_1413_zps5131369a.jpg

Aaron , truck looks great I'm all with u on all the running gear being tricked out that's what I'm doing . Means a lot to me that the under part is awesome and then put rusty body on . But want to ask how do I keep the shop so clean , u must clean it up before u shoot pics. Good job dude I like it

Looks great! I have a similar set of 4th gen F body wheels, what width spacers are you running on the fronts?

Thanks for the nice words guys. Glass is in! Really made the truck look like it is close. The door glass was pretty tough. Putting the glass and regulators was easy, but I got new felt to keep it from rattling and installing it wasn't fun.........

IMG_1417_zpsc7eb1c42.jpg

IMG_1447_zps5c634bf5.jpg

Aaron , truck looks great I'm all with u on all the running gear being tricked out that's what I'm doing . Means a lot to me that the under part is awesome and then put rusty body on . But want to ask how do I keep the shop so clean , u must clean it up before u shoot pics. Good job dude I like it

Thanks! Unfortunately I'm a little OCD with the clean thing at home and the shop. I actually stop about every hour and put all tools away and sweep the floor. It's nice for me to work that way. I am lucky my wife is the same way, so she understands.

Looks great! I have a similar set of 4th gen F body wheels, what width spacers are you running on the fronts?

If I remember correctly I went with 2" to get them out a little into the fender and keep the tire from rubbing inside.

Tonight the truck turned a corner......... After I got the old barn wood floor in the bed laid out I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face for about 45 minutes. It's like it is finally getting it's personality and attitude now. The rugged look of the old barn wood fit the truck like a glove! The tailgate got welded on too. I still have quite a bit of work to do to it, but it is coming around. Just wanted to share the progress of what got done today.

IMG_1457_zps634341ce.jpg

IMG_1463_zps6198c1a4.jpg

IMG_1471_zps18922ab0.jpg

IMG_1450_zpsdbdfb685.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I have not posted pictures this week because I have been just trying to knock off small things on my list. I got all the in-tank fuel system upgraded in the tank, all the bed floor cross supports are installed. The wood floor is mounted. I made a battery tray that sits at the front right corner of the bed below the floor actually mounted to the frame. I just cut the board about 18" back and hinged it so it is easy to get to. I want a simple four-bolt removal to get the bed off anytime. I also installed a battery cut-off switch right under the front edge of the passenger seat inside the cab. I am currently working on the wiring harness. I got the engine harness installed that I had sent off and am really impressed with the work this guy did. I have an appointment this week with the ecu tuner. I am putting the ecu and all electronics inside the cab up under the dash to keep the engine bay clean. I am hoping to have it fired up within a week or so. I am still trying to figure out what to do with the exhaust system. I want a nice low rumble, but so many options.

Aaron

Latest posts

Back