What's a welder worth to me?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_Fear

Brother Rat
Seriously, I found a youngish guy to weld up my '48 Olds Cutlass Frame. We discussed at length the how's and what's of it, but when I asked him about price, I could tell he was at a loss. I don't have a clue what it should cost myself. I don't want to cheap him at all, but I don't want to way overpay and look like a sucker either. He's pretty excited about working on it as is.

Is 15-20$/hr for labor a good rate for an on the side job like this? I'm doing most of the prep work and getting materials, he'll be doing the actual welding and there will be some on the spot fabrication where it is needed. Would 200$ be a respectable offer upfront?

I'll leave it at that fer now. Time to eat.... [P

Around here a shop welder will make 12-18 per hour. That is with no expenses. That is to say he is working with your tools in your shop, and need only bring his hood. He is told where to weld, and how to attach metals. A fabracator will make more, and usually figures out where to weld, and what to weld with. He probably come with some specailty tools. A welding shop makes more. $50-$80 bucks an hour, sometimes more.
This is one of those places where the shop has all the tools, and you just bring your money. Granted they may have one of those $15.00 per hour guys do the actual welding, but there are years of experiance and thousands of dollars in tools behind them.

I know this really may not help but it is all I can tell you. The kind of work you are asking for is the hardest to bid or pay for. I can tell you that years and years ago I welded a rollbar in a mustang drag car. I came up with a figure, ( $100 plus beer) and I did it in an evening, they provided all the materials. It was a good way to make some extra money at the time. and probably half of what a shop would have charged.

you gotta be honest and ask yourself would you do it for $15-20 hr.

remember sometimes you get what you pay for, and if it's a frame that's being built, you're not only risking your life but mine as well.

and i think Bonehead made a lot of good points too...

good luck..

Bonehead - THANK YOU!!! That is the kind of info I was looking for.

you gotta be honest and ask yourself would you do it for $15-20 hr.

remember sometimes you get what you pay for, and if it's a frame that's being built, you're not only risking your life but mine as well.

I'm not trying to be cheap by any means! If I was good enough, I'd do it myself. I know better. This kid (21) does good work. He doesn't weld for a living, he just digs it. I really want to make sure I pay him well. I'm a firm believer of 'an honest days pay for an honest days work'.

Well, if he's good and your paying cash, $15 is good if your supplying everything else, tools,wire,gas ect., if your paying by the job - ask the hours other people have taken and do the math.

i charge 40$ to 50$ per hour to do mechanical work, fabrication costs more. 15hr is damn cheap! a local speed shop wanted a $1000 to install an 8 point cage in my camaro, and thats with a pre bent kit and interior already removed!

i asked how much if i tacked it all in for him to finish weld and he said $40 an hour. i ended up doing it all on my own with a friends machine, it was fun actually and ever since, i have done all my own welding and im glad[;)

anyways, if the guy is good, id throw him at least $20 per hour. he might be affraid to ask for what he really wants, and if he is dragging his equipment back n forth i would personally charge at least $30 per hour and u provide beer and all measurements or details of how it need to be.

well hope this helps, and lets see some pics once its in motion!!

Bonehead - THANK YOU!!! That is the kind of info I was looking for.

I'm not trying to be cheap by any means! If I was good enough, I'd do it myself. I know better. This kid (21) does good work. He doesn't weld for a living, he just digs it. I really want to make sure I pay him well. I'm a firm believer of 'an honest days pay for an honest days work'.

hey Sam, in no way was i calling you cheap, only that the welds on a frame or suspension are critical, and quality is more important the cost. if the kid is good, then ya the price is between ya'll....[;)

I asked him about a price again. He came back with "Is $200 alright?" I told him I'd pay $250 and if he spent more than 10 hrs at my garage working on it we'd refigure from there. (I'd already decided it was worth that to me.) The tube welding is basic welding, but I know it's gonna take a lot of on the spot fabricating to get the new rails hooked in to the existing frame. He's big on gussets, and has access to a CNC too!

$250 sounds like a good start, but as you say, the fab work can take some time. It's good that he likes gussets. I used a '70 ish Olds frame to slip under my '49 Ford and had to narrow the frame a bit, just tack all of your new tubing in real good before ya cut the old stuff loose.

Latest posts

Back