9 Inch Ford Gear ratio

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niterunner71

trying to decide what gear ratio to order for my new/rebuilt 9 inch ford center section. my 40 coupe will be running a 283 with a comp cams 268H cam which has a band of 1500-5500 rpms. will be running that with an edelbrock 600 cfm carb, the trans will be a super t10 4 speed. I want to drive it regularly around town with some occasional long trips. I was thinking 3.70 3.89 or 4.11?

Around town is one thing, occasional highway trips are another thing altogether. I am running 4:30's in my 27 and my Son Dan is running 4:11's in his rpu. We are both running tall tires and those ratios are great around town, but are horrible on the highway. We are both running radical cams so those gear ratios pull like gangbusters but at 60 mph you are cranking 3,000 rpms.

I ran 3:70's in my 27 for years and it drove on the highway just like any other car, that ratio was about right. If you were only thinking of driving on the road, I would suggest something in the 3:50 range. I think the 3:70's would be a good compromise if you want to occasionally get on it. A person wouldn't think there is a lot of difference between 3:70's and 3:89's but without an overdrive transmission there is a huge difference.

Don

3:50's

3:50's is a good all around gear, me, in my 1930 dodge with the 9'' l'm gonna run those with a 700R4 for milage and performance, ya could also go with 3:25's for better milage.

Later:cool:

I have a slightly different suggestion! Why not run used gears and have two or three different sets? Find used hog heads with gears already installed. A good combination would be 3.00, 3.25, 3.50, and 4.10 or 4.11.

At least that is what I would do!!

Latest posts

Back