2-piece driveshaft to a single?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

So I'm getting ready to transplant an '84 F150 powertrain into my new frame, curious about the driveshaft setup. It has a 2-piece driveshaft with a fixed yoke at the tranny and a center bearing support where the 2 driveshaft sections meet. The slip yoke is at the center bearing.

Question is, will I have to keep this 2 piece arrangement or can I use a single piece shaft with the slip yoke at the transmission? Basically, is this trans designed only for a fixed yoke or can I use a slip yoke on it? Not sure if the there are different transmissions designed for each. It's not the orig trans so not sure if its a c4 c5 or c6. Engine is a 302.

Thanks!

I'm not a truck expert by any means, but from what I've seen on truck forums it is ok to ditch the split and put in a single.

My thoughts are (and take them with a large grain of salt) that the split was to allow the rear end more travel for the pickups rear end and to lessen the stress on the u-joints by having two shorter shafts rather than one long one. Since your rear end will not be expected to travel in the same manner as a loaded truck on rough terrain, you shouldn't have any troubles. Also, the distance from trans tail shaft to rear yoke will be closer, correct?

Maybe I'm way off kilter, but hopefully that will prompt someone who actually knows something to pitch in and set us all straight.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I want to ditch the 2-piece setup b/c I'd have to get both driveshaft sections shortened and even then, the rear 1/2 would be very short, leading to large u-joint angle changes as the suspension moved.

I guess I'll just pull it out and see. I have another single peice driveshaft from another ford, so I'll see if that slip yoke will slide on to the trans.

no worries on going 1 piece

Prob have a C-4, not sure about a 302/C6 combo. I used a '76 F-250 drivetrain in a Dodge D-50 chassis. The Dodge had a 2 piece w carrier bearing, the F-250 (LB btw) had a single driveshaft. I had to have the ford shaft cut down and have been running it for a year with no problems. The only issue you may have is clearance with x members, just mock a shaft in to check before you start welding.

Latest posts

Back