27' T tudor sedan build air bags, SBC ect....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddredger

I picked up this little car on 11/5/2014. It was a mess. Body is rough and not due to age but the previous owner butchered it. Cut it all up and cut holes for rear tires to fit in. The chop was bad. 1/2 difference in side to side no windows where the same and it tilted forward on one side over 3/4 of an inch. The body was all out of shape nothing even close to square. The first pictures show how it came home on the trailer. I got a model A frame and parts to go with it. The frame that was under the body when we loaded it was junk. made up of numerous old frames and hunks of metal. It actually broke the first 4ft section OFF on the way home just sitting on the trailer. Yes the frame cracked in half. No way I was using it. So I have been actually working on it for 4 weeks now. a few hours every night. I have built a new chassis from 2X3 .120 wall. Full four link rear with air bags. Just got the body on and mounted and all straightened out. Chopped it more and straightened it out side to side and front to back. Pick and pull had half price days at Thanksgiving so I picked up a turbo 350 tranny for it. I made a deal on a 1975 4 bolt main 350 with some old double hump heads a tunnel ram and a set of Holley carbs for a small block. The rear end is a GM 12 bolt. The tires are Firestone reps on 17" wheels. It is coming along pretty fast. next step is the front axle and motor tranny mounts. Need to hit the steal supply next week and get some more metal. The interior will be all Maple wood cut and fit to perfection. I own a portable bandsaw mill and I have a 200 year old maple tree I milled up and have some amazing wood from to use. The car will be named "Miss Maple" with a small pinup logo on the sides. I need to get a sheet of sheet metal as well and fill the wheel holes they cut in it back in. Enjoy the pictures.

Yes I think I did. She will live to drive another day!!! I think they took the car started to cut chop and after they got into it so far they come to the conclusion they would not be able to finish it. But meanwhile they did some damage along the way. Pretty sad but it is coming back together for sure. Will be a sweet car when it is done.

How the heck do you get a chop of by a 1/2" side to side???

That is what I said! I guess they did not use a tape measure at all. If you look at the third picture down look how the roof line drops down to the rear of the drivers door. That side was a full 1/2" lower than the other side and not even close to flat as you can see in that picture.[S
Just plain old crap work. If I show a picture of the frame they scabbed together you would die laughing.
All the welds look like bird poop piled up and I litterally pulled those parts off by hand. So I have gotten rid of all the garbage now doing a good job of getting it on track.[;)

Yep, I see it... wow!

So how do you plan to set up the front suspension? The frame and rear look good. Does the rear axle articulate alright with the long upper arms?

Yep goes up and down very well with very little pinion angle change. I did move the uppers inboard of the loop and triangle. Rather than outside. I did this to give me more room inside the car for my seats. Front will be clevis with hair pins. I may just do the bags on top like they are in the last picture. But they will be inside a bracket and covered so they are not just hanging out there. I was going to do a cantilever setup with heims but not sure yet that is why it is in the looking stage still. I will post some pictures soon as I decide what to do.

Nice save! Looks like it will be lots of fun in no time.

It might have been one of those, "I cut it off twice and it was still too short", kind of deals. :D Poor guy, I hope he doesn't see this.

Nice save! Looks like it will be lots of fun in no time.

It might have been one of those, "I cut it off twice and it was still too short", kind of deals. :D Poor guy, I hope he doesn't see this.

Nah do not worry, the fellow I got it from was a middle owner. He had not worked on the car just bought it and started to gather parts for it. He was very nice man and he fully understood the chop was bad and a mess. And was sure to point out to me several times he did not do it. It was the owner prior to him that cut the car up. He said he knew the car it was in a farm feild for years and was complete original before it got cut up. I suspect this may be the work of a younger builder with zero prior builds. Huge mistakes where made and if that person sees this well they need to know before the hack up another treasure. Not mean just a fact. It is coming out great. My son is helping out and learning the ropes of car building as we go to. Great project, great car, good fun times ahead!:)

Latest posts

Back