32 Ford Truck Rat Rod Build- Start to Now

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny thing about that world gettin' small.....eh? :D

I just happened on this site after googling "42 Ford Rat Rod". Then I see your ride and you're in SK too. Whereabouts? GREAT fab skills on the frame - really impressive. I've been in the bodywork biz/now hobby for 35 years but have never done fab to that extent - until soon. The outlaws have a farm in Porcupine Plain and there's a 42 Ford truck in the bush and a 76 351 Windsor to go along with it. I wanted to pull it home (s'toon) for the past couple summers - but had many other projects on the go. This year maybe fer sure. I'll be using your build for my inspiration - especially that massive frame Zee!

Couple questions if I may:
- where'd you get the seats? - what's the grille from? - why the hoops instead of running the frame horns to the front spring perch? (I'm guessing it's the cool factor, but thought I'd ask!)
- cheers!
Thanks for posting up so many great pics!

My site: www.E-tekRestorations.com

The seats are made from mid 30's gm seat backs from a commercial truck...so I've been told...it takes 2 seat backs to make 1 seat...I bought them off ebay from the Old Crow Speed Shop in Calif...It was the look I wanted so I bought them...don't ask what they cost....The grill is an original 32 Ford Truck Grill and as far as the hoops...it is the cool factor of having the spring perch come through the grill...I am located in Rosetown,Sk....Hopefully I will have this finished for Draggins Car Show in Saskatoon on Easter weekend

i hadent checked in on your build in a little while.. making me wish I had holes in my front frame rails.. but I dont think i can bring myself to do that.. me and hole saws dont get along

There's another wicked rod in Rosetown isn't there? I've seen him at a bunch of shows last year - one of the most popular rides. Do you know it/him?

Your's is gonna rival it fo' show![;)

Ya...That was me...I sold it last fall to a guy in Calgary...couldn't wipe the smile off his face with a shovel when he went for his first ride...anyway it's gone and the 32 is the new one.

Man, That is one sweet ride. Love all the details, I am in the process of building my son a bicycle with a similar theme. can't wait till he's older so we can build him a rod like that.

Deadanimal

Man, That is one sweet ride. Love all the details, I am in the process of building my son a bicycle with a similar theme. can't wait till he's older so we can build him a rod like that.

Deadanimal

This is a pic of the bike my son built a couple of years ago...he use to show it at the shows when I had a car at the event....you have to start somewhere...it's not what you build ...as long as you build something!:)

Attachments

• 2009_010209carshow0002.jpg
    2009_010209carshow0002.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 41
Just wondering.........what is the "hole count" up to:confused::D:D
Truck is looking great and that is a cool bike your son built too.

Between the frame,seats,headers,and steering column there is over 600 holes that are over 1/2 " in diameter...so far:eek:..going to have to get a plate that says SWISS CHEEZ:D:)....the kid did a nice job on the bike...he's now into impalas and monti's on hydraulics...he's havin fun too..I guess.

There's another wicked rod in Rosetown isn't there? I've seen him at a bunch of shows last year - one of the most popular rides. Do you know it/him?

Your's is gonna rival it fo' show![;)

Lovin the truck Rat Fink.. And congrats to E-tek on the garage shot in Car Craft..I was thunmbin thru that issue and instantly recognized it from your posts on GJ

Tim

Plumbing brakes

Makin more progress...got the brakes all plumbed for the most part...have to get new rear wheel cyl yet then I can finish them up and bleed them...pain in the a@# running back and forth to the parts store for fittings and stuff...but its mostly done so I can move on...:)...got the tranny cleaned up and put new seals in the front and rear...I'll change oil in it once I get it mounted in the chassis...

Attachments

• z1.jpg
    z1.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 64
  • z2.jpg
    z2.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 64
  • z3.jpg
    z3.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 61
  • z4.jpg
    z4.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 61
  • z5.jpg
    z5.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 58
Motor Time

Almost 2 yrs ago I did some horse trading and ended up with this 290 hp.sbc crate motor and up till now didn't really have a place to use it ......so I 'll use it now....I bought a different cam for it...comp cam with 497 lift and 297 dur. that should giver a pretty good thump...I 've aquired some aftermarket goodies for it over the last little while so it should dress up pretty good...Put the motor and tranny together last night and got them set in the chassis....got the cam changed tonight just have to set the valves...tomorrows another day!:)

Attachments

• z16.jpg
    z16.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 50
  • z22.jpg
    z22.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 52
  • z21.jpg
    z21.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 53
  • z20.jpg
    z20.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 51
  • z19.jpg
    z19.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 49
  • z17.jpg
    z17.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 50
  • z14.jpg
    z14.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 48
  • z10.jpg
    z10.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 49
  • z9.jpg
    z9.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 50
  • z6.jpg
    z6.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 46
Thanks I have an f-1 box and the Pittman arm has to points down to work right and it looks like I will need the Pittman arm to points up or move the gear box inside the truck to get it up high enuf to clear everthing[cl

Last edited:
thanks I have an f-1 box and the Pittman arm has to points down to work right and it looks like I will need the Pittman are to points up or move the gear box inside the truck to get it up high enuf to clear everthing[cl

My only concern in my case is that I may end up with a little bump steer with having the steering arm and the radius rods running parallel....my other rat rod was set up the same way and it was fine but I have heard of others having issues[S....I guess that's why they call it 2 lane blacktop....you need both to keep it on the road:eek::D:)

I generally set mine up with the steering arm and radius rods parallel to each other and as close to the same length as poss that why I run the 40", (46"overall length) hairpins in stead of 30" like most people do. it gets the pivot point close to the same arc. I have never noticed any bump steer doing this.

I also like the looks of the longer Radius rods (hair pins) front and rear I think it make the car look faster even when they are standing still. I also like making them long and low again just looks faster to me.

Said it earlier nice build looks like lots of thought has went into your truck just waiting to see it done

Not much to report...got the valves set,dampener on,crank pulley installed,waterpump's in...nothing much exciting but still progress I guess....hopefully get more done tommorrow night....maybe even get into some of the good stuff!!!???

tri-power

Makin a little more progress....dug out the used tri-power:cool: that I bought off ebay about a year ago for the anticipation of using it for this build..It's an Offy intake with 2G rochester's with progressive linkage...it came complete with fuel rail, dist. and coil....it came with little scoop style air cleaners but that wasn't the look I wanted so I bought some Mr. Gasket 4" air cleaners and then bought the little german helmets from a guy that makes them in Ontario Canada...I thought that they would look really great with my build theme...The old school valve covers I got from a swap meet last year as well....I have been gathering parts for this build for over a year and a half and it's starting to look like my vision....I like it....I'll keep throwing parts at it and take some pics as I go along ....If I run out of parts I might be finished!!??:)

Attachments

• c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 46
  • c14.jpg
    c14.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 54
  • c11.jpg
    c11.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 56
  • c10.jpg
    c10.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 48
  • c9.jpg
    c9.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 45
  • c8.jpg
    c8.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 47
  • c7.jpg
    c7.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 53
  • c5.jpg
    c5.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 45
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 39
  • c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 35
50 calibre Dipsticks!!!

I couldn't wait anymore I just had to make my 50 calibre dipsticks for the motor and trans....:cool::cool::cool:I think they're pretty sweet.and go great with the build theme.....What you all think!!!!

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 39
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 36
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 50
  • b5.jpg
    b5.jpg