1931 Chevy 4door into pickup.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I finally got my headlight and shock mounts built. Made them a bit too tall to mount the lights directly on top. I wanted the top of the bucket to mount close to, if not directly even with the grill shell. So I brought the buckets down and inadvertently made the front flush with the grill so it's a win win. Now I've got to find shocks that'll fit. It's getting a bit hard as te shock body needs to be about 8", have a long enough stroke to allow the bags to inflate but still have movement, and have an eyelet on the bottom and a stud on the top. They're going to mount to the topside of the mount instead of using an eyelet to go on a bolt, and mount directly to the axle. I'll have to drill a hole in the axle, use a spacer, and bolt to make it mount. I like how they turned out.

Looking really good. Monroe has a spec chart with all there shocks on it, I used Monroe Matic plus on mine. early 80's Ford crown Vics had lower eye and stud on top on the rear application might be long enough for you.

I forgot that I downloaded it onto my PC. I never use the PC anymore so I totally forgot. But thanks for the reminder Dozer. So I looked through the entire chart, and found a set that would fit perfectly. They're off of a 1998 Dodge Durango 4x4 with the 5.7L and luckily, Oreileys had a set. So I picked those up this morning, fabricated my lower mounts, and made some small tabs for them to sit on inside the headlight mounts. I think it made for a clean install. May have to flip the axle bracket upwards once I get the bags filled to see if they'll work or not.

I need to trim a bit off the lower washer to get it to fit right but it's gotten too hot today.

Thanks pops. I think so. According to the Monroe chart, compressed they are 9.625 compressed, 14.875 extended with a total travel of 5.250. Seeing as I only want to go up 4" extra with the bags, the extra 1-1/4" should be okay. So at ride height, I should be okay.

Thanks guys. Not my original idea as to mounting, I wanted to use the shock bosses on the axle but they'd interfere with the drivers side steering arm. Either way, I think it looks good and I don't think the lights are up too high. I'll know after I pull the jack stands out from under the front end. Next off is figuring out how to mount shocks on the rear. I've seen a few cantilever shock mount ideas but I don't know if I'll have enough clearance as I do intend to have an actual bed on the truck. I guess this is where hot ridding can get a little funky. Trying to fit things where they are just too big or where you don't really have room. This may be my first and last fully bagged project. Springs are way easier to deal with.

My feelings exactly. Been there, done that.
Its nice to be able to lay it on the ground but not worth the expense and head ache to get it there.
YOur rides looking KOOL!

Thanks pops. I got a fairly inexpensive complete air ride kit off of fleebay so it wasn't really anymore than a spring setup, cause I'd haveta buy springs anyway and because I work in an industry that uses air brakes, I'm able to get the DOT fittings at wholesale. But it's been interesting trying to figure out the geometry and spacing a and all.

Today I decided to drop it down on the ground with the shocks installed. Yup, had no binding but didn't have enough downward travel in the suspension. Fully stretched it measured a bit over 5-1/2" on the rod, at ride height only 5". So I notched my lower spring mounts and slipped them under the 4 link pads. Used a couple of homemade 10ga washers to counteract the spacing difference from front to back, and tomorrow ill pull the shocks back off and weld the brackets together just as some added insurance. I really don't want the front end to come loose on me. After that, I set the frame up on stands with the wheels on the ground and measured the distance I need for the rear shocks. What I am going to end up doing is remove one of the lower bolts from each side of the frame(they're just there to fill in holes anyway) go off of the upper bolt for my top mount, and make some drop brackets to sit under and in front of the axle. I'm thinking 9" compressed and 13" extended should give me the travel I need to lay frame and still be able to have the travel I need for a decent ride at ride height. I'll get some shocks ordered for the rear and then make the axle brackets. That way I know exactly how long they need to be and where they need to mount.

So, rear shocks are gonna have to wait for another week or so. Gonna have a list a mile long of parts to put on order. One of the biggest issues I have been fighting on this build is clearances. Because let's face it, I love em low. I didn't like how my front bag mounts were so I pulled em off today, cut the top mounts off of te frame, and moved it all forward to right above the axle. Due to clearances, I also had to move my front panhard bar mounts. Panhard is now up a bit higher, mounted directly to the front crossmember, which is going to end up dropping the ride height an extra inch which is perfect for my front shocks. I had forgotten just how thin the webbing is on this axle so where the 3/8" bolt goes through the axle I had to weld up and creat a sort of boss. But I didn't know exactly where the bag mount would be, I drilled the holes first, inserted the bolt, it's directly center in the axle, made the new bosses, and ground them down until they looked kinda factory(ish). I still need to grind down the back side but I figure I can do that whenever I want. Next step is to cut the end of the bolt off and drill out the hole so I can get the bags in the right direction easier(I had to use a chain wrench around the bottom of the bag to get it to the right direction.) I will still have to grind down the old welds and reweld the upper mounts but I was really starting to feel the heat and being up for 24 hours so I plan on doing that tomorrow. Once I get it all finished ill take some pictures of it at ride height. I have a feeling that this car will go together, come back apart, and go together again quite a few times until I'm happy with it.

So, I got the upper brackets welded in place and the outside welds ground down flush, set it back on jack stands for the supposed height, and bolted everything back together. I still need to remove the axle again so I can drill out the bolts that I had to weld into the axle to make my bosses but it's gonna come back apart so I can grind the inside frame rails down to match the outside, make a full crossmember for the engine(which will also allow me to run one of the brake lines to the front), and a few small things here and there. Here's some pictures.

So, I started off today by pulling the front axle out. Maybe for the last time, probably not, if you've notice how I go back and forth with designs. Either way, I think I finally nailed it with this setup. Anyhow, pulled the axle out, cut the bolt head and threaded portion in, center punched it, and drilled it out to 3/8". It didn't go as quite centered as I would have liked it to but the bags give enough that it shouldn't affect the alignment. Had to fill in some small gaps between the holes and the axle so I welded those up and smoothed her out. I used a scrap bolt I had to make sure I didn't fill in too much of the hole and drilled it to where it was round again. I then took a sanding barrel, attached it to my drill and smoothed out what I could of my welded in bosses. Once I had that done, I decided that since I had it all apart, and nothing could burn when I welded, I welded my lower shock mounts to the 4 link connectors just as some added assurance in case a nut fell off(even though I used grade 8 lock nuts) I'm always afraid of parts coming off. Final step for the day was to put everything back together to make sure it all lined up like it's supposed to. So here are a few pictures of what was accomplished today.

I think next step is to remove the engine again and build my crossmember to go from one engine mount to the other. The piston rods are cool but since my Z is so tall, I'm afraid it'll put a lot of tension on the rails and pull it down causing the frame to tweek. Once I get that done, I'm going to redo the member that holds the carrier bearing. If I jack it up on one side, the whole frame twists in that area so I'm thinking that it needs to be reinforced. Monday ill be putting a big order of parts in so I can get my brake lines all done up. Talk about a whole lot of fittings for one little car but making it go doesnt matter if you can't stop the ol'girl.

Also stepped wrong at work last night and since then I've been getting real bad pains in my back and neck so we'll see if I do anything on her tomorrow. I'm waaaaaaayyyyyyyy too young to be in this sort of shape. I guess that's what being the "little guy" in a Marine Platoon will do to ya after a few years.

Latest posts

Back