Car Show Fraud

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmw56

Busted and Rusted on Route 66
I just found out today that at the car show I went to last Sunday on Father's day the guy that won about everything, best this, best that, best of show, was stripped of everything because of stuffing the ballot box and this was a show put on by a Church! Everyone at the show was given a ballot to vote on their favorite car in different classes and for best paint, best interior, etc. Somehow he got a hold of a bunch of ballots and proceeded to vote for himself for everything. I kind of wondered when he keep winning everthing. He had a 4 door Chevy 4X4 that was nice but nothing special. I hope he feels real good about what he did and like a @#!&%$ for getting caught.

yeah..a bunch of middle school punks spray painted the church the other night...got caught the next day..preacher invited them and their families to come to church anytime...it dont pay to mess with the man upstairs..

Some people put way to much emphasis on "winning" in car shows. I get more enjoyment out of just BSing with people and having fun. We don't usually even stay till judging.

Some people put way to much emphasis on "winning" in car shows.

I prefer shows where they don't give awards... that way no one gets their feelings hurt! Especially mine!!! :D:D:D

But cheating @ a Church car show... that takes big ones!!!

BoB

I'm with OG. Don't care about winning. I get my enjoyment from looking at the other rides, BSing with the folks there & answering questions about our rides.

last year about a week after i got my Impala going i entered the local show, eveybody said it was a cool project car, and i found myself thinking it would be cool to take home some hardware for 'unfinished' or something. the vehicle that won best in show was a 35 chevy truck, all bling-bling, and the worst part; it was PINK, all pink, paint, interior, loom and hose covers........

so i quickly got over the award thing........

what kinda gum..... fugum........

Years ago I use to be into getting the awards. It got to the point were is was not fun anymore. So now I just like to setting back and watch the other guys act like big babies and asshat when they do not win.

As for stuffing ballet boxes. I seen that so many times I lost count.

Just think all of that for a $15.00 award.

I go to shows to shoot the breaze,buy parts,and ck out the rides. If I win somthing its just a bonus. The judging just needs to honest.
Tim

I 'm with you guys also I go to a show not expecting to win anything but it's always nice if you do. I really enjoy meeting new people and have more fun listening to other peoples stories about the cars they used to have. But for someone to cheat to get recognition for something they don't really deserve. How satisfying can that be?

I learned a long time ago there is a big difference between the cars you and I would want to build and the ones that win trophies at shows. Doesn't even have anything to do with quality necessarily, just flash. The guys who put those pink radiator hoses, crybaby dolls, stuffed animals in the package tray, little race cars sitting on their aircleaners, etc, those are the guys who generally win.

I've been standing at a show and seen some onlooker ooohing and aaaahing over over some car that was downright tasteless, but they seem to go for that glittery stuff. A lot of it also depends on how many of your friends are there to vote for Peoples Choice types of trophies. There was a '57 Chevy here that used to win Best Of Show at every show, and it was because all his biker buddies were there and voted for him.

I'm like you guys, I prefer shows with no awards, in fact I usually leave before the trophies are given out. I was in a restaurant one time and a guy comes up to me and tells me I had won a trophy at a show the week before. He said they kept calling my name but I was gone.

Besides, all trophies do is collect dust. :D:D:D:D

Don

We have all heard stories of shows,where the "winners" of
certain awards are decided weeks before the show opens.

More common at indoor shows,but I know it has happened
at some outdoor shows.

I have a had a few nice cars and a bunch of not so nice cars. I give every trophy away to kids if they want them. I don't give a squat about them. I won a trophy at the very first "Lonestar roudup" it's the only one I kept. It was given to me by a Texas custom car builder{Gary Howard} We have become friends over the years . I always admired Gary's work so it meant something to me.

Trophies are a tricky things. Always have. Some people actually request to enter as an exhibit-only vehicle so they don't get involved with being judged. I've done that and felt a lot better about — among other things — being able to bail early, before the awards. ;)

Yea, i learned early about all that ''show buiseness''. I seen how dad got up set because he didnt win another trophy when i was young, i never cared about it sence then . I took my undone chopper to a local show last year and the judjes said it was between me and a friend of mine ,and they really just didnt get it when i told them that wasnt why i come there and didnt want a trophy,most of the bikes there i worked on in one way or another and they all gave me turned up noses when i came in on my bike .
I'll never understand people?
I think thats why we have more cruise ins now instead of car shows ,and i love to go to cruise ins ,i dont even have to wash it if i dont wanna and have a lot of fun just shootin the bull and talkin about how we found our rides .

Although i do have to admit that i do like seein people getting a long distance trophy ,they do deserve a little attention and its really cool if its a home made rat rod that gets it !

I went to a Super Chevy Show and parked. Then I saw all the trailer queens being unloaded, tossed my number, closed my hood and had a great time.

Just to throw this in, about things at church functions, some of the toughest and roughest softball and b-ball games I have ever played where against other churches.

My parents church (and the one I grew up in) have a yearly car show and it is rediculous, it is headed up by a bitchy, snooty couple and all their club friends go home with the trophies. This year I wouldn't pay the entry fee simply because I didn't want(or even had a chance) at a trophy and gave the money to my mom to give in the offering instead. The lady told me I had to park out in a field(regular parking), that I couldn't park with the other cars at the show, so I parked in her club's RESERVED section, moved the chairs and all.

Honestly, I'm not a jerk, but I have always been like that, I grew up there, baptized and married there and I guess I'm still living up to the rep I set as a teenager in that town, doing my own thing.

Really, the only reason I go is because my dad takes his 51 chev truck and we hang out AND to show off my little girl.LOL Take it easy guys, Scott

Latest posts

Back