65 GMC s/w build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbj188

I put my international rat on hold while I try to get my 65 GMC going for a side project/business. I spent the last few weekends trying to get it to idle right. Currently it is at my parents home but hopefully I will get it to my small garage. The wife let me have it the garage. Here are a few pics of my garage until I can get some of the truck in the garage. Any comments or critizing please feel free. I need all the help I can get.

Thanks again,

Thomas

Attachments

• garage1.jpg
    garage1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 116
  • garage2.jpg
    garage2.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 114
  • garage3.jpg
    garage3.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 112
  • garage4.jpg
    garage4.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 108
  • garage5.jpg
    garage5.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 107
Question

I have a question...the engine in the truck is a 283...the problem Im having is the the truck wont start with out ether being sprayed into it... Then i have to have my foot pressed on the gas pedal or it will just die...and if i let off the gas then push back on the gas it starts cutting out/acting sluggish and dies...I have rebuilt the carb and put new points in and even sprayed it with seafoam..I have put new spark plug wires on the engine aswell...here within an hour I will put new plugs in it to see if that helps...

So my real question is why dosent idle and is sluggish when the gas pedal is pushed.

Thanks,

Thomas

Gas tank dirty/varnished?[S

Rusty/plugged/leaking fuel lines?[S

Clogged fuel filter?[S

Weak/non-functioning fuel pump (diaphragm torn, no "pump" action)?[S

I'd check those things first. Needing starter fluid indicates to me a "fuel supply" issue.;)

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Shea:)

I'd check for vacuum leaks first.
#1 thing, I'd change out the carb for one I new was workin to see if it's any good.

Used to have the same problem on my old jeep. Rebuilding the carb didn't work. Through the carb away bought a bran new one and it ran like a top!!!

Putting new spark plugs in really helped it...but still not running right... here in a couple of weeks i think im going to put a new intake and 4 barrel carb on it and will have to get new valve covers aswell... See if that helps any.. oh and the one time it was running well i tried to move it but the front wheels are stuck :mad: and all the brakes need to be bled too... never let a truck sit outside for years.... I almost wanted to strike a match to it... so frustrated

thanks everyone,
If the new carb and intake dont help any ill start going through all the suggestions.

Thomas

Gas tank dirty/varnished?[S

Rusty/plugged/leaking fuel lines?[S

Clogged fuel filter?[S

Weak/non-functioning fuel pump (diaphragm torn, no "pump" action)?[S

I'd check those things first. Needing starter fluid indicates to me a "fuel supply" issue.;)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Thanks,

The gas tank my be dirty...need to check fuel lines they havent been changed as far as I know...I put a new in line fuel filter on it... Not sure on the fuel pump i need to check it aswell..

:mad:....well....Im going to have to tow the truck back to my garage....... hopefully I will have it there by Friday..

Finally

After a whole day of work...I finally have the truck in my garage...i was suprised I thought my garage was bigger... the truck barely fit but I have enough room to move around and work....now its time to [;) start tearing things apart...Also had to break the drum off the front passenger breakes...The shoes were fused to the drum...I was wandering how hard it would be to add disk breaks all the way around and is it better to go with 5 or 6 lug?

Thanks,

Thomas

Put a '73-'87 cradle under it. It basically bolts in and will give you power disc brakes, better handling and 5 lug pattern. Snag the rear end from the same donor and swap it out for matching 5 lug out back...

Thanks I may do that... Things have been slow lately the wife wants me to work on the house so no time for the truck... Hopefully in the next couple of days I can sneak off to the garage... I have some new pics will post when I get home.

Thomas

Put a '73-'87 cradle under it. It basically bolts in and will give you power disc brakes, better handling and 5 lug pattern. Snag the rear end from the same donor and swap it out for matching 5 lug out back...

What he said... x2:D

Parts should be commonly available for the newer front suspension, as well. Plus, disc brakes. Plus, probably a more highway friendly final drive ratio in a newer 1/2 ton rear end.;)

Lookin' forward to progress as you get there.

Regards,

Latest posts

Back