65 GMC s/w build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I will try that...there is a early to mid 80's chevy s/w just down the road in a pasture think I might try to snag the whole thing or just the parts.. Tonight I will put a load of pics up of the truck to date if anyone is interested.

Thomas

Here are some pics of the 65 in the garage...

Attachments

• DSCN8075.jpg
    DSCN8075.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN8076.jpg
    DSCN8076.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN8077.jpg
    DSCN8077.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN8078.jpg
    DSCN8078.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCN8079.jpg
    DSCN8079.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN8081.jpg
    DSCN8081.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN8082.jpg
    DSCN8082.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN8080.jpg
    DSCN8080.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 48
I like your truck

Nice truck.
It reminds me of the 1963 chevy work truck my late Father had when I was growing up.That truck sure ran good,but it had a habit of jumping out of gear,especially going up the bridges into Georgetown S.C.,so Dad just attatched shock cord to floor and hooked it over shifter handle when it was in high gear.Worked pretty good.Still jumped out some but not nearly as much.
Got to love the old quick fixes.[cl

Going to sneek away to the garage tonight and hopefully find out what wrong with it.... It's hard to start and when it does start it will not idle. I'm going to check everything yall suggested and in hopes to find an answer.

Thomas

Last edited:
Nevermind wife caught me....going to have to wait until thursday....I should have about 5 hours then to sort it out.

Thomas

Success

I traced the fuel line all the way back to the sending unit. It seemed to be fine some of the rubber needs to be changed. Took out the sending unit and it was nasty I dont believe it has been changed since it was new. Anyways took it out and tried to find a replacement NAPA had one out of state I ordered it. As I was going home I remember what don posted about trying to fix something yourself so....I took the air compressor to the end of the unit and blew out towards the filter at the end....So so much stuff came out took it a while for the gas and nastyness to stop coming out..Anyways hooked it back up primed the carb with a little ether started right up idled better than I thought it would. I let it idle for about 15 mins by itself which it couldnt do before. I even turned it off and started back up a couple of times... Cranked right up and idled...but there is a ton of smoke almost choked and passed out in there.

A small victory,

Thomas

When in doubt blow it out...

nice old truck, i always liked the gmc hood better then the chevy hood. might just have to find one for my truck. gonna keep a eye on this build.

I think that my be my new motto now...Next on list is brakes...

Put a '73-'87 cradle under it. It basically bolts in and will give you power disc brakes, better handling and 5 lug pattern. Snag the rear end from the same donor and swap it out for matching 5 lug out back...

Think im going to try to do this

Thomas

73-87 rear is to wide, stick to the 71-72 rear it is wider then the stocker but will work, the later is wider then them. i had a 71 but it was a 6 lug truck for some reason but have found out different on others.

I was thinking.....

What does anyone think about vlogging your build...I was thinking about doing a once a week update on my 65 GMC and posting the thread in this build thread but also doing pics and updating here in the thread aswell...Is vlogging and posting a link on this forum legal? What do you guys think?

Thomas

Ok..here is the update..I have taken the drivers side front and inner fender off the truck and the front fender on passenger side...drained the fluids out of the engine..took off the heater box..and in the progress of taking off everything on the front of the truck so I can pull the engine out easy...Ill post some pics following this post.

Thomas[;)

Here are the pics

Thomas [;)

Attachments

• DSCN8343.JPG
    DSCN8343.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN8346.JPG
    DSCN8346.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN8348.jpg
    DSCN8348.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN8344.JPG
    DSCN8344.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN8345.JPG
    DSCN8345.JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 43
As for the disc brakes, I took a 71 GMC disc front spindles/upper a-arms/calipers, and new hoses and put them on my 64. I then took the rear out of the 71 and put it in my 64 but had to mod the pan hard to make up for the different length. Its now a 5 hole setup and alot of rim choice available.

Your truck looks to be in really solid shape, good luck on the build and keep up the progress.

Finding it hard to get back to work on my truck......any words of wisdom to help you get though the blah times....I even kept a wrench in my pocket all day at work to get me motivated but as soon as I got home didnt to even look at the garage......any help would be appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks,

Thomas[;)

Finding it hard to get back to work on my truck......any words of wisdom to help you get though the blah times....I even kept a wrench in my pocket all day at work to get me motivated but as soon as I got home didnt to even look at the garage......any help would be appreciated and welcomed.

Thanks,

Thomas[;)

Dont look at the whole project; set aside x amount of hours you're going to work on it each week. Be realistic so you can keep your commitment. Pick one particular task to work on and stay on that task until finished. Plan one small job at a time and finish each one. Then it all wont seem so overwhelming.

Well, not sure where you are at on it now, but you need to focus on and enjoy what you're doing at the moment and not just getting it all done. It's the trip, not the destination. If you're not sure what to do, sit down on a bucket and stare at it for a long while. If you feel like you're getting in over your head, you have a lot of help here that can talk you through how to do just about anything. Well, anything car related....

Sam and Falconvan are correct....

Well, not sure where you are at on it now, but you need to focus on and enjoy what you're doing at the moment and not just getting it all done. It's the trip, not the destination. If you're not sure what to do, sit down on a bucket and stare at it for a long while. If you feel like you're getting in over your head, you have a lot of help here that can talk you through how to do just about anything. Well, anything car related....

I think we all do it with our builds...you begin to think of ALL the things you need to do and it becomes overwhelming....as was said, you have to enjoy the ride...I speak from experience here.....stop starting one aspect of the build and then get side tracked to something else...because before long..you have 30 things in progress and nothing DONE....like I said, we have all been there and done that.....me especially....Get one thing done or at least done to where you HAVE to move to something else...then get that done and the next and so on till Low and Behold.....you've got a driver.....keep the faith and get back in there......JMHO...

Latest posts

Back