1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing done on the custom yesterday as it was spent running errands and getting my peg leg fixed.
The noise it was emitting was the sound of a sheared off Titainium screw that held the heel piece of the fake foot in place being crushed on every time I took a step..[S But that's fixed for now.[cl

My intention for today was to get out to the shop and clear up some of the clutter and get started on the doors. Got the clutter part sort of taken care of but got side tracked before I could get to the doors.

I was looking hard at the seat situation and decided to put in the steering wheel and see how things (Me) fit now. Well they didn't.:eek:
This cab was always going to be a tight fit for me but somewhere between the last cockpit mock up and now things must have changed... Alot.[S

The upshot is that the buckets are not going to work for me either.

So I grabbed a piece of ply that I had leaning against the wall and put it in the cab with some risers to clear the center hump.
Sat my butt down in the cab and now not only do I fit better, but I clear the steering wheel by a wide margin. The pedals fall to my feet better and my visability out the windshield is much better.[cl
I will end up building a bench seat for this project. With this set up I will have room for padding for my keister.:D
I did get the frame and cab moved sideways behind the lift posts. I can still access it to work on it but now I have more room in the shop.
Thanks for looking in....
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0100.JPG
    IMG_0100.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0105.JPG
    IMG_0105.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0099.JPG
    IMG_0099.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 29
Some times the simple fix is the best one. I'm thinking along those lines for the sprint, I'm getting a permanent kink in my neck waiting for traffic lights and talking to people next to me. [S
your truck is looking great [cl

Some times the simple fix is the best one. I'm thinking along those lines for the sprint, I'm getting a permanent kink in my neck waiting for traffic lights and talking to people next to me. [S
your truck is looking great [cl[/QUOTE

Thanks soltz.:)
I always try to keep things simple when I can. Plus building a seat is very traditional in a custom truck as well. With this set up I will gain about 4 inchs front to back and at least that much of a gain in height clearence even with good padding.
I saved the track from the original F-1 bench seat and I should be able to cut it down so the seat still adjusts. If not I have a couple of other seat track options.
If I made it stationary I would consider making the seat back part of the upholstery on the cab back wall. With my surgicaly inhanced back I prefer more of an upright seating position anyways.
But incase someone else that's not 6'3 wants to drive it would be better to have an adjustable seat.
I'm just glad that I fit in it better.[cl
I really want to use the big original 41 car steering wheel and 3 on the tree setup and this will allow me to do that.
So I'm thinking that when the weather gets too cold here to do body work I will build the seat.
Pics show the problem with the bucket seat set up.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 24
your truck is looking great [cl

Ah! The old splinter sofa...lol!

Only for a while smallfoot. I plan on doing the tuck and roll interior myself.(With a little help from my wife.:D)
Torchie.

Only for a while smallfoot. I plan on doing the tuck and roll interior myself.(With a little help from my wife.:D)
Torchie.
Always good to get the little lady in on it. The family that builds hot rods together, and all that...

Looking good Torchie... I ran into a seat problem in the 50.... the seat was so lo I couldn't see out the window.... still don't know what I'm going to do with it yet LOL....

I can see what you're talking about, in the pic of you in the truck.
If you were short (5-9) Like me you'd never have a problem :)
Bench seats are kool nowadays.

Looking good Torchie... I ran into a seat problem in the 50.... the seat was so lo I couldn't see out the window.... still don't know what I'm going to do with it yet LOL....

Sometimes it is easier to raise them then lower them cc.:)

I can see what you're talking about, in the pic of you in the truck.
If you were short (5-9) Like me you'd never have a problem :)
Bench seats are kool nowadays.

Back in the 70's I owned the car shown in the pics OI. An original survivor Detroit built Clarkaiser custom shop 53 Ford Vic. The chopped top made it interesting to drive to say the least.:cool:
For what I am building a bench style seat was always my go too choice. But since I had the buckets on hand that,s what I was using. But hey. What's one more thing on the fab list at this point.:eek:

Hard to believe but at one time I used to tool around in a 1959 Austin Healey Bug eye Sprite. Talk about 5 lbs of **** in a 3 lb bag......[cl
Torchie.

Attachments

• rkho.jpg
    rkho.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 19
Must be nice to be making real progress.

...Anxiously awaiting the next set of pics.

Thanks Flipper.
You have built more than enough things to know how this game works. Right now I seem to be on a roll. Tomorrow? Who knows.;)

So here are the next set of pics.
DS door inner skin first.
Cleaned up the door edge where I welded on the rods to tighten up the door gaps.
Got rid of the long scar from where it leaned in the door tops.
Feathered out the seams from chopping the door tops.
A little slickie on the door bottoms to take care of some of the pitting.
A little primer and we flip the door to do the outer skin.
Outer skin are nice. Most of the work will be on the widow frame and the door edges that had the rod welded to them.
Thanks for stopping by.....
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0119.JPG
    IMG_0119.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0114.JPG
    IMG_0114.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0112.JPG
    IMG_0112.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0111.JPG
    IMG_0111.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0110.JPG
    IMG_0110.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 19
OMG... It's like your on speed:eek:

I gotta get my a@@ in gear. Jeep is back together. Last two weeks of Oct I'm taking a road trip from Alberta to Arizona. Then the big chill will be here for sure and it's time to work on mine.

Looking great Torchie![cl

You are doing good, no, great work there Torchie! [cl Can't wait to see this puppy in paint! [P

Thanks Bama. Most likey won't see any color untill spring as the heat in my shop is not condusive to painting. That's one of the reason that I'm pushing to get the cab body work done before it gets to cold.:eek:

Everything's looking great! Think you mentioned a blue color before, any further thoughts on color?

Everyday smallfoot.:D As Ed "big daddy" Roth once said. "Looking at a car in primer is like looking at a blank canvas. Anything is possible"
The pics will show some of the colors that I have considered.

Pic 1. Is that sweet 41 custom coupe that comes from Canada. It is shot in a stock Ford color called Washington Blue. I have always been partial to this color and I have a modern mix formula for it as well. This is a non-metallic color

Pic 2-3. Also like the Gold/Bronze color on these outboards that I painted when I restored the last wooden boat. They are circa 56-57 so they are close to the era that I am aiming at. The metallic in them tends to give it a more "Show custom" kind of a vibe.
With both of these colors I am looking at an Ivory tuck and roll interior with the possibility of complimentary body paint colored panels in the upholstery.

Pic 4. Shows a color that I painted the roof of my daughters 60 Chevy. Kind of a deep cherry with metallic also. With this color I might go with an Ivory and gold interior.
Who knows. Like Big Daddy said. Anything is possible.......
Torchie.

Attachments

• DSC_5163.jpg
    DSC_5163.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0090.JPG
    IMG_0090.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1800.JPG
    IMG_1800.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for the positve vibes gang......:)

And great to hear from you gold. We are all waitng to see you get back to yours.[P Safe travels my brother.
Pics 1-3.
Finished the DS door up today. Ready to hang. Start on the PS door tomorrow. It may take longer as I stil need to do some [;)[;)[;) on it. And please bear in mind that in no way is this body work paint ready. All the dirty detail stuff will have to wait till spring.(Prime-Block. Prime-Block.......)

Also started to work on the seat again.
Pics. 4-5 Shows the seating height and clearence. Old vs New.:D

Pics. 6-7 Shows the drivers veiw out the windshield. Old vs New.[cl

Pics 8-9 Shows me in thru the wiindshield. Old vs New.:eek:

That's all for now. Thanks for visiting.....
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0142.JPG
    IMG_0142.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0147.JPG
    IMG_0147.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0087.JPG