Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Frame/Suspension/Brake Q&A

Frame/Suspension/Brake Q&A All things... Frame/Suspension/Brake

Old 07-04-2017, 11:32 AM
Creators of all things awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzrodder View Post
The guys have pretty much covered it, bending the arms is no big deal, done it lots of times with no failures. Don't use heim joints - they're OK for race cars but not for street use - noisy and not geasable.
I use heim joints on all my cars, never had a problem. If you are worried about them making noise you exhaust isn't load enough

Minterfab.com
Old 07-05-2017, 07:36 AM

Default slow cool down

another slow cool down trick is to wrap aluminum foil around the part, and use your heavy welding gloves
Old 07-05-2017, 07:51 AM

Default metalurgy 101

alloy metals behave diferently depending on the alloy and temperatures. The college professor had a carbon steel wire streched between two insulators wired in series with a light bulb. He turned on the switch, the light on and the wire started to heat up and expand, sagging down. then when it got almost to toaster red the wire shrank . The professor explaned that at the critical temperature the molecular structure of the iron and alloying elemants changes, becomes non magmetic. He turned it off and the rapid air cooling kept the wire tight. He explaned that when heat treating a piece of tool steel heating then rapid cooling keeps the structure dense and hard. some tool steels become fragile and will crack and break like a piece of glass. If you polish a piece that has been hardened , then slowly reheat you will get the rainbow colors as the steel molecture structure start to change back. sometimes a propane torch soft flame to allow the steel to slowly cool down, or packing parts in sand.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:40 AM

Got 'er done yesterday. Worked out pretty good. Had to borrow my dad's acetylene tank because mine ran out after the first bend. We wrapped some wet towels around the king pins and heated the closest part until it would bend with a piece of square tubing, then we did the same to the other side. Went back to the other side again and heated by the tie rod end side and used a drift punch to get it back to level, then the same to the other side. We decided that we had to go a little higher, so we did it again.I cooled things off with my knuckles and got the tie rod put back on. Turned out perfect.
Got the hubs, rotors, and calipers installed.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:25 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

right on
We knew you could do it
1948 GMC 5 window
51 Chevy 5 Window
Peabody's 37 GMC

It takes someone getting close to use a knife on you......... "Torchie 2016"
Old 07-13-2017, 09:37 AM

Part of the fun was having my old shop teacher running the torch. What I know about welding, I learned from him 35+ years ago.
He is building a 32 Chevy.