The Tripper Award build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonehead

Skull Master
By now you have seen the really cool plaque Tripper got from the guys here at RRR. I know how you guys like pictures here so here is build from that project.

I started with my new carbide blade saw, and miter cut some 3/4 inch tube.
The saw makes a perfect cut. And the box works well for shipping stuff too.
tripper2.jpg

So an old welder trick is to use a penny in the space between a joint of two welds. pennys are 1/16 of an inch thick. I knew I was going to grind off the welds so I really want the weld to go deep. note the 1/16 gap in the corners. I used my welding table to lay out the frame, and used a square to keep it true.
tripper3.jpg

Another trick, as simple as it seems really speeds things up. The tubing is 3/4, so half of that is 3/8ths. I use a piece of 3/8 stock to mark center on the tube. Then I center punched them, and got ready for the drill.
tripper6.jpg

I used a flat bar to hold each rivet up so I could weld it. I drilled the back side holes out a little bigger than the fronts, so I had a place for a weld after it was ground off.
tripper8.jpg

Next I used my 35 ton ironworker, to punch some flare holes in some 16 ga. steel.
Then I used my plasma, to cut the angles on the ends.
tripper9-2.jpg

As far as the design goes, I was let go by the rest of the guys to build pretty much whatever I wanted to. So I figured I would put in a bunch of the cool touches that I have seen on alot on rat rods.
What would a tribute to rats be with out a little web work?
tripper9-6.jpg

Latest posts

Back