I'm gonna build an altered.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice new toys, Don. I am envisioning building a scoop/air cleaner of some sort. I just don't want it to look like everybody else's. That's kind of challenging.

That is how I felt, Skip. I almost bought one of those blower type scoops at Turkey Run but I wanted something different. This one is just funky enough to look cool.

Well, today I built my mockup frame out of 2 x 4 lumber to get my proportions worked out. I ended up with a little more wheel base, which is good, it should end up at about 102.

My Sons talked me into forgetting about the solidly mounted rear and to go with coil overs and a 4 bar set up. We had to kick up the frame to tuck it up into the body, so coil overs will get my axle back down to where it needs to be for the tires to fit the wheel openings.

Here is the frame we built.

And then we put the body on to see how it all fits.

The front crossmember will be 2 and 3/4 round tubing and the second one, that holds the back of the Moon tank, will be 1 inch round tubing.

Don

Probably should have glued it also. Dont want those nails pulling out on a hard launch. :)

I am kinda worried about splinters. :D The biggest problem I had at Home Depot was finding 3 STRAIGHT 2 x 4's. I must have picked up 10 before I found 3 that were sort of straight. I would hate to be framing a house with the stuff you get today.

Funny you should mention the autocrossing. My Son's said I could now drive this on the street with the suspension we are putting in it. :D Bet THAT would be interesting at red lights ! :eek:

Don

On the street!

Funny you should mention the autocrossing. My Son's said I could now drive this on the street with the suspension we are putting in it. :D Bet THAT would be interesting at red lights ! :eek:

Don
And that, good Sir, is exactly what I intend to find out driving mine once I get it finished. :D

My Crosley isn't a true Altered as it has doors and I sit on the left side. It has a home made 4 link with very little drag race science in the geometry. It will run high 10's and you don't have to steer it. It is confortable on bumpy return roads. My HAMB dragster is unsprung in the rear and is very uncomfortable on return roads.

Your Altered should be reasonably easy to drive and easy on the spine on the return road with the 4 link rear suspension and enough tire on the rear.

You have too many cool cars, Bob. There oughta be a law ! :D I particularly love Crosleys. When I was about 15 or 16 I had 3 of them, two coupes and a station wagon. Wish I had them now.

I am about a day away from ordering my rear wheels and slicks. I need to get those to help dial in my kickup position and suspension. I pretty much have decided on 15 x 10 American Torq Thrusts in the classic finish, and I was going to do M and H Dragster tires on them because that was what I ran on my 68 Mustang. I was doing it more for nostalgia reasons than anything, but now I am considering Mickey Thompson 10.50 x 15 30 inch tall ET slicks instead. They seem to have a more square, old time looking profile.

Summit will mount and balance the slicks on the wheels for $ 20 a tire, so I am going to go that route. I will post some pictures when they show up.

Don

Hey Don, I have your axle and other parts almost ready to ship. I'll call you when I am done.

Coooooooool, Ron. Looking forward to getting them. I think I will have you ship them to my work because Fed EX and UPS keep leaving stuff at my door and I hate leaving packages laying there all day while I am at work. Just call me when you want and we'll work out the details.

I also ordered my rear slicks and rear wheels today from Summit. I need those to work out my rear end width and suspension position. I was going to go with M and H slicks but went with Mickey Thompson ET Drag Slicks instead. They look more square and old timey to me in the pictures. I also ordered two 15 x 10 American Torq Thrust classic wheels and tubes.

This is starting to look like Christmas ! :D:D:D

Don

Today the big brown truck showed up.:D Got my rear wheels:

Got my slicks:

And, of course, I had to slide them under my body to see how they fit. Doesn't look like I need to cut the fender openings any more to fit them, which surprised me.

Tomorrow I am going to have the slicks mounted and then I will know for sure.

Don

Today the big brown truck showed up.:D Got my rear wheels:

Got my slicks:

And, of course, I had to slide them under my body to see how they fit. Doesn't look like I need to cut the fender openings any more to fit them, which surprised me.

Tomorrow I am going to have the slicks mounted and then I will know for sure.

Don
I'll run ya if ya leave the jackstand under it :D

Latest posts

Back