New conversion for enclosed drivelines from Speedway!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
This is one of the coolest new products I've seen in a long time (IMO)! There is an article in the new Street Rodder magazine (March 2009 - ck it out!!!) about Speedway's new kit to convert the old enclosed drive line to a modern open version & the kit only runs around $300. The article says its a straight & esay bolt in with *no* machining necessary. I'm definitely gonna have to try this on one of my next projects!

BoB

Attachments

• open.jpg
    open.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 63
We offer an open drive conversion kit through our shop as well. Basically the exact same thing as what Speedway is selling, and we can beat them a little on their price. Not to mention you will be supporting a real local small-time hot rod shop instead of the Wal-Mart of the car industry. :) If any of you guys get to the point of looking into one of these kits seriously let me know...

man, ide love to run the stock axle in from my '46 Ford. Everyone has been telling me that my axle wont last long enough to get out of the shop. This is a great way to get away from that all too common Ford 9". Do these run the stock axle shafts? Would a stock axle shaft handle the torque of a 454?

actually mines not an enclosed drivline. It has a nowadays style driveshaft. The reason they say it wont last if because of the worm gears, or something. I dont know what im talking about really, this style axle was WAY before my time. But i'de take the looks of a banjo anyday.

Those conversions have been around a while, not really new. Just remember when you put one in that you no longer have the torque tube to take the twist and the wishbones will pretzel on you, Especially Model A ones.

Yeah

But doesnt Speedway offer a warranty on there parts..? I wonder if the small guys offer the same..? I think a major company would be ALOT safer to buy from.

But doesnt Speedway offer a warranty on there parts..? I wonder if the small guys offer the same..? I think a major company would be ALOT safer to buy from.

No, and as a matter of fact that is why the disclaimer "FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY" is found on most aftermarket parts from any company. IMO Speedway does offer some good parts, but also a whole lot of shoddy chinese pices. They had a major problem just about a year or so ago with the Corvair steering arms they were selling. Seems they were prone to snapping off at inopportune times - not exactly a minor problem! A quality part is a quality part, no matter where it is from. The same with a bad part. To quote the late Christopher Farley "I could take a dump in a box and give you a guaranteed piece of sh*t". :)

I wonder

I wonder why Speedway didnt have a ultrasound machine to check the parts coming in..? Off road use only.? Hmm..never seen to many RR going rock climbing lately..If I remember they re-called those parts and even went as far to contact the people who bought them to.Wonder if the small companies can do the same.? Offer SOME good parts..? Hmm..with sale well over a million I sure hope they have SOME good parts...:D Who knows for a fact those parts were from China..?

Latest posts

Back