12v Conversion from 6v Positive ground (1950 Mercury)

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xschx

Anyone ever do a 12v conversion on a 1950 Mercury? Or at least a conversion on a 6v positive ground car? I bought a wiring harness but not sure where to start. I’ve tried looking up some info but can’t find anything. I know I need to get 6v to 12v converters for the gauges, but how does everything else work? Most importantly to start, can a 6v positive ground be just turned into a 12v negative ground by wiring it as such, or does more have to be done to prep it? I ultimately want to put new aftermarket gauges in it so I am not worried about those, but the car has all the regulators in it and I am guessing I have to buy newer 12v ones or maybe there is some way those are removed from the equation, perhaps when the generator is replaced by the alternator? Anyone who has ever done a conversion that can help, maybe list a short step by step, that would be great. I want to do a conversion because 1. It’s cheaper than buying a 6v replacement repro harness from the few places that make them, and 2. I want to put modern things like an electric fan, windows and shaved door poppers in it.
Sadly I was stupid when I bought this car and got screwed over by the owner. He told me everything worked electrically, he was driving it around prior, and it was just a dead battery. He lived 2.5 hours away from me in Mass. I drove up there, paid him for the car and came back with a fresh 6v battery to drive the car home. He conveniently wasn’t at home even though we planned a time for pick up, and I quickly discovered why he was staying away…. that he lied as even with the battery in, the car is completely electrically dead. Luckily I had AAA gold and was able to have it towed all the way home with only owing like $20 for a few miles over my limit. I really don’t know what is wrong with it, like I said it’s electrically dead….almost…the only thing that worked was I was able to put it in gear and back it into my garage off the starter as there is a button on the bottom of a relay that when pushed, would engage the starter, but the car would never turn over. So there is has sat for over 4 years as I was just so frustrated with it, I didn’t even want to work on it, and honestly a complete rewire is so overwhelming to me that I didn’t even want to start it. I did run across a guy who said he would do it for $260-300 labor if I brought him a wiring harness and had the car towed to him. I kind of would like to save myself the money as I know it will end up being more than he quoted, not sure if he can even do it correctly as I’ve seen a lot of half ass work out there and I don’t want my $200+ wiring harness ruined, and plus the cost of the tow with most likely be over $100.

okay...i think i have the info, someone posted a link back in September...

starter info

You can keep the 6 V starter It will work . We used to get 6 V starters to use in our 12 v cars so they could still crank over in 40* below weather, JUST DONT crank very long or you can burn it up. Keep it tuned up so it will stat the first couple seconds and it will last.

Latest posts

Back