Flash back fairlane

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your little elbows... are they stainless or aluminum? Can you TIG?

You leave my little elbows out of this!!!

Oh you're talking about my pipe fittings hahaha! They are stainless yes I can tig, some times

[cl[cl[cl

I don't know what you had to give or those but, they're rather expensive around here. Aluminum too

Asking because I don't know what you know... have you welded stainless before?

Back purging is imperative. No short cuts, no cheats. (I made my living welding aluminum and stainless.) You can have a decent looking weld without it, but it'll be fully contaminated and weak as glass. Ignore me if you know better, just trying to help. I'd hate to see your pickup fail and ruin your motor!

Asking because I don't know what you know... have you welded stainless before?

Back purging is imperative. No short cuts, no cheats. (I made my living welding aluminum and stainless.) You can have a decent looking weld without it, but it'll be fully contaminated and weak as glass. Ignore me if you know better, just trying to help. I'd hate to see your pickup fail and ruin your motor!

I have never done any back purge welds. I might have a buddy weld this up. I'm not sure. I can tig steel and aluminum. Never really any need for stainless stuff.

Any knowledge you can share is always welcome and appreciated

Trans crossmember

Attachments

• 0312201358.jpg
    0312201358.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 9
I have never done any back purge welds. I might have a buddy weld this up. I'm not sure. I can tig steel and aluminum. Never really any need for stainless stuff.

Any knowledge you can share is always welcome and appreciated

OK. Help me understand what's going on...

- What size are those elbows? In my Sasquatch hand they'd be 2" OD. :p
- Why stainless? Is the rest of your pickup stainless?
- Joining the two is one thing, but what do they attach to?

If you only need the two elbows welded together, the "easy" way out is to stick weld them because the flux eliminates the need to back purge. Of course, if they're tiny that's not feasible.

1.25 od

The tubing I have to build the rest of the tube out of is stainless. It will mount to the pan and push into the bottom of the oil pump.

Have you ever used the flux past instead of purging??

I attached a couple pictures of the pickup tube. Of course that is not the pan and is going in but it's going to end up working the same way

Attachments

• 0305201604.jpg
    0305201604.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 0306200957.jpg
    0306200957.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 15
Thanks. (I'm like a five year old, you need to draw me a picture. :D)

No, I have never used the paste. Most of the stainless work I've done was for food, jet fuel or certain chemical applications, where the paste itself would be considered contamination.

Purging is the way to go anyhow. Once you have several pieces tacked together, there's no good way to apply the paste to each joint and no good way to clean it out.

If you're TIG welding, you already have the gas. All you have to do then, is cap the pipe, plumb a puny line into one cap and poke a controlled leak hole in the other. I've done this at home with friggin' duct tape and a hunk o' vacuum line. All you need is the pure argon atmosphere. The leak hole keeps you from pressurizing the pipe, but restricts enough to keep the pipe constantly full of argon.

Thanks. (I'm like a five year old, you need to draw me a picture. :D)

No, I have never used the paste. Most of the stainless work I've done was for food, jet fuel or certain chemical applications, where the paste itself would be considered contamination.

Purging is the way to go anyhow. Once you have several pieces tacked together, there's no good way to apply the paste to each joint and no good way to clean it out.

If you're TIG welding, you already have the gas. All you have to do then, is cap the pipe, plumb a puny line into one cap and poke a controlled leak hole in the other. I've done this at home with friggin' duct tape and a hunk o' vacuum line. All you need is the pure argon atmosphere. The leak hole keeps you from pressurizing the pipe, but restricts enough to keep the pipe constantly full of argon.

I was actually just looking at some kits with different size plugs. That way I could reuse them make it a little easier I guess. I could look for some mild steel I just thought the stainless might hold up better. I don't know if it's going to be a pain in the butt if it's really worth it. It is kind of an important piece to the car so I don't need something happening to it. I am no expert TIG welder by any means I have actually just started doing it within the last 6 months. Doing a lot of watching other people doing it and a lot of trial and error. Not sure the oil pickup tube in my brand new engine is what I want to be trying on.

I try to practice on my own stuff before I put it to use on customers Vehicles so this is a couple of the welds I did tonight on my transmission crossmember. No contest winning welds right there but for me they're pretty damn good LOL

Attachments

• 0312202154_HDR.jpg
    0312202154_HDR.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 0312202154.jpg
    0312202154.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 43
Each one of these pits are a leak. If you run the ending bead over the start bead then pull your torch slightly as you quit the welding, instead of just stopping, it will not be there.
I welded for Paul Mueller Co. in Springfield Mo. for several years, ASME certified tig, mig, and arc
When you can't use backing tape because of cleanup then, you do as Doc said and purge.

attachment.php

Each one of these pits are a leak. If you run the ending bead over the start bead then pull your torch slightly as you quit the welding, instead of just stopping, it will not be there.
I welded for Paul Mueller Co. in Springfield Mo. for several years, ASME certified tig, mig, and arc
When you can't use backing tape because of cleanup then, you do as Doc said and purge.

attachment.php
[/QUOTE

]Okay okay jeez;)
Like I said no professional had it by any means that's why I'm asking questions. It's also why I don't do it on customers vehicles. I burnt through a lot of filler rod and a lot of stuck tungsten trying to figure out how to do it myself. It's getting better but by no means am I a professional. I think this just solidifies my thought of having my buddy do it. He welds for an airplane manufacturer here in town

Don't let us discourage you. I'm the best tungsten grinder in seven counties and I'm sure Old Iron is a champion himself. To quote forbigpicture, "Learned a lot from my mistakes....think I'll make a few more..."

For the sake of this critical piece, your aircraft buddy is the right call, for sure.

Last edited:
Don't let us discourage you. I'm the best tungsten grinder in seven counties and I'm sure Old Iron is a champion himself. To quote forbigpicture, "Learned a lot from my mistakes....think I'll make a few more..."

For the sake of this critical piece, your aircraft buddy is the right call, for sure.

:rolleyes: I can dip a tungsten with the best of em :p
I'll be welding along and loose concentration nowadays LOL
As Torchie say "Keep on Keepin On"

Stay at it my young friend, you can't learn or get better if you
don't try ;) [P[P
You remind me of someone I know very well...working 16-20
hrs a day.. trying to raise a family and chasing a dream ....
by the way, you need to change your handle...not much
of what you're doing now is "lowbudget" ;)[ddd:D [;)[;)[;)

Oh yeah build is looking great !!!

Stay at it my young friend, you can't learn or get better if you
don't try ;) [P[P
You remind me of someone I know very well...working 16-20
hrs a day.. trying to raise a family and chasing a dream ....
by the way, you need to change your handle...not much
of what you're doing now is "lowbudget" ;)[ddd:D [;)[;)[;)

Oh yeah build is looking great !!!

Thanks my friend, I hear you. I'm trying to expand my skill set. I will probably try it and see How it turns outs.

As for the handle, I'm open for suggestions hahaha

Latest posts

Back