Flash back fairlane

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I put the LS3 in my Chevelle I had to get an oil pan with the sump on the opposite end. That was when LS swaps weren't very common & had to pay $750 for one. 3 months later they were selling for $350... I was PO'd! Luckily... the Chevelle didn't have shock towers!

That should be a real beast when you get it on the road!!!

BoB
I paid just under $600 for the pan for this. I'm beginning to rethink this coyote idea LOL. Not the most wallet-friendly build ever

Don't have any 1/2"? (Just kidding) Why so heavy?

I think they were using such a thick plate because the shock Tower at the bottom of that area is multiple layers of a thin put together. It's a junction spot where everything is overlapped. That's what those guys were using back in the day with their monster motor Mustangs. I'd rather go over till now then have to go back and redo it because something move LOL

You ought to see the pics of Dyno Don’s Maverick with the Cammer in it, they cut it so far they had to move the shock mount over almost to the fender!

I think they were using such a thick plate because the shock Tower at the bottom of that area is multiple layers of a thin put together. It's a junction spot where everything is overlapped. That's what those guys were using back in the day with their monster motor Mustangs. I'd rather go over till now then have to go back and redo it because something move LOL

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation. :D

You ought to see the pics of Dyno Don’s Maverick with the Cammer in it, they cut it so far they had to move the shock mount over almost to the fender!

I can imagine that it'd be a hell of a tight fit

There's about a 65 Comet locally that has a Mustang II style suspension and so they removed the shock towers. It has a 351 and has so much room that it looks like it should have come that way.

For anyone who wants to watch here's the video I put together my explanation of why I'm doing this what I'm doing and how I hope it works

https://youtu.be/flkHDBIVJxk

I was watching the video, if the shock towers are different from a Mustang, could you graft Mustang Towers in to gain some room?

It's looking like you're making some progress, makes sense why you don't want to go MII.

Yeah I kind of thought about checking more into the tower location and size of the Mustangs vs mine. I did do some more research and found out that in 1965 Carroll Shelby moved the upper control arms down an inch in the Mustangs he was building to gain some more stability and they had way less body roll. So I ordered a little metal template to redrill my holes down that one in so they are in the proper location. That will gain me another inch I can pull out of that shock Tower. Once I do that I we will will be okay.

On another fine note I just got off the phone with TD motion where I bought my oil pan and pickup tube and screen from just informed me that Ford's change the oil pumps from the Gen twos to the Gen threes. According to their tech department the oil pan will bolt up but they do not guarantee that it will miss the oil pan and they do not guarantee that the pickup screen will work. So I told them to go ahead and shoot me the order anyway since no one makes a low profile front sump oil pan for a gen3 motor. Nothing like Reinventing the wheel. I guess I will be modifying either the pan or the pickup tube or possibly both

Yeah I kind of thought about checking more into the tower location and size of the Mustangs vs mine. I did do some more research and found out that in 1965 Carroll Shelby moved the upper control arms down an inch in the Mustangs he was building to gain some more stability and they had way less body roll. So I ordered a little metal template to redrill my holes down that one in so they are in the proper location. That will gain me another inch I can pull out of that shock Tower. Once I do that I we will will be okay.

On another fine note I just got off the phone with TD motion where I bought my oil pan and pickup tube and screen from just informed me that Ford's change the oil pumps from the Gen twos to the Gen threes. According to their tech department the oil pan will bolt up but they do not guarantee that it will miss the oil pan and they do not guarantee that the pickup screen will work. So I told them to go ahead and shoot me the order anyway since no one makes a low profile front sump oil pan for a gen3 motor. Nothing like Reinventing the wheel. I guess I will be modifying either the pan or the pickup tube or possibly both

That's good news you'll gain another inch.

Not pushing on the MII deal, just stumbled upon this setup today and thought I'd share it. Looks pretty slick (not cheap). http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/frontclip.html

That's good news you'll gain another inch.

Not pushing on the MII deal, just stumbled upon this setup today and thought I'd share it. Looks pretty slick (not cheap). http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/frontclip.html

Yeah it will help.

I have a **** load of money into this front suspension and brakes already. I will fight this till I absolutely cant make it work before I decide to go mll. That same company has a new setup coming out that is really bas a$$. Your right, not cheap

Got my header details ironed out yesterday. They're about three weeks out but I think I found a set I can make work and the company is building them with a two and a half inch collector instead of a 3in since I'm not going supercharged or anything at the moment. I might have to replace them later on down the road if I want to do a supercharger, but for now it will save space. I have to call and figure out what the deal is with my oil pan I have them ship it at a faster rate that way I could get it by this Friday and I have not even gotten confirmation that it has shipped yet. My drilling templates that I ordered for dropping the upper control arms down an inch shipped yesterday so I'm hoping I see those sometime Friday Also. My luck everything will show up late Friday afternoon and I really won't be able to do much on the car during the day. I think I'm going to pull the interior out of it carpet and seats wise anyway that way I can start getting prepped to put the transmission in it

I just got caught up on this build. Lots of cool stuff going on here.
Keep posting away and doing videos.

Those Coyotes are great engines, it's too bad they aren't narrower (6" wider than an LS, according to what I've seen), they would fit a lot better in everything. Sounds like you're sorting it out.

Those Coyotes are great engines, it's too bad they aren't narrower (6" wider than an LS, according to what I've seen), they would fit a lot better in everything. Sounds like you're sorting it out.

Yeah, solid platform. Just really big. The fun wont stop here. Ive herd lots of nightmares about getting them running

I saw this recently and thought of you. It's a highly modified '67 Fairlane. According to Google, the SOHC is 3" wider than your Coyote, but the plugs are easy to change. :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• cc 534 lowb.jpg
    cc 534 lowb.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Back