Endless BS thread

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
124646726_864562414311785_1872380499679293344_o.jpg

Eye of the Beholder

Sure, but in these parts, it would be cheap, cheap, cheap, or free to a good home!

Doc, I've given this notion a lot of deep thought. Well, as deep as I can think with my remaining brain cells. Let's say I'm going to build a rat rod. Total expenditure about $6,000 US. The body was free. Okay, I pay $450 for a body. The total is $6450. Less than 10% more.[S

Next question; Is the body worth it? Depends. Yikes, don't use that word around an old guy. Market value says "no". But personal wants and desires trumps (not political) market value in my opinion. You hear it sometimes, "I paid too much but it was worth it to me".[dr

I like the uniqueness of the early 5 window cab. I can throw a couple hundred dollars worth of sheet metal and bracing and 80 hours of cussing and welding and maybe have something presentable.[;)

The drawbacks are too many projects ahead of it, a failing (my) body, and she is getting very intolerant. The last point might be the decider.:eek:

Bob, I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said except the part about finishing a hot rod with only $6000. I naively shot for that and missed it by $20,000. But I underline all of your points so others will read them and think about them deeply. Good for you.

I meant no offense, Bob. I don't question your judgment, motivation or values for a minute. I was only saying, the same pile of tin (in my neck of the woods) is a hard sell and would probably go to scrap for lack of interest.

Bob, I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said except the part about finishing a hot rod with only $6000. I naively shot for that and missed it by $20,000. But I underline all of your points so others will read them and think about them deeply. Good for you.

You got it right MM, $6000. USD is pretty close to $20,000 CND :D:D

Not to worry

I meant no offense, Bob. I don't question your judgment, motivation or values for a minute. I was only saying, the same pile of tin (in my neck of the woods) is a hard sell and would probably go to scrap for lack of interest.

Doc, I cannot be offended so don't worry. Nothing about your post was bothersome. It just gave me a chance to philosophize.
I doubt it will sell here either. I'm waiting a week and will probably look at it and offer a couple hun, Prices are generally pretty reasonable here. The Scandinavian influence I suppose. Don't want to insult the guy. I don't know him but I'm pretty sure we have mutual friends.
The only factor that might make it a bit desirable is that it is a Fargo with quarter windows. While not an easy fix, there appears to be no compound curves to deal with.
At a couple hundred bucks if I screw it up not much is lost.
BTW, the cab is costing me a great deal more. I promised her she can get a new kitchen range.

Latest posts

Back