Endless BS thread

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mav, I would have done it, but my breakfast would have gotten cold, so there.

Small, I'm the bear's lawyer, and I say that the one bear doesn't have the 'light-up' eyes and he's left his glasses at home. He was just trying to read your sign. He even said at the end, " Oh S%%t, It says no trespassing, we better get out of here".

They pretty much know the drill around here.. I live on the bear corridor..
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• STC_0491.jpg
    STC_0491.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 46
  • STC_0492.jpg
    STC_0492.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 46
  • STC_0823.jpg
    STC_0823.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 48
  • STC_1137.jpg
    STC_1137.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 46
  • STC_1138.jpg
    STC_1138.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 46
A couple of questions. When you say bear corridor, where are they traveling to and from? How big do they get in your area? And is there a hunting season for them? I'm not a hunter of them, just curios.

A couple of questions. When you say bear corridor, where are they traveling to and from? How big do they get in your area? And is there a hunting season for them? I'm not a hunter of them, just curios.

The bear corridor is a traditional travel route from their original areas to the breeding grounds which is south of me but not far. They travel this route to breed and birth. I get to witness the migration twice a year. To and from, singles going thru and babies coming back with their mothers. For years, bear hunting was not on our hunting seasons. A year or two ago they had the first bear hunt here in years. They planned on a week hunt but closed it down when the expected harvest was filled out in about 3 days. Our state is getting crowded. More woods destroyed or turned into housing areas so the bear habitat is dwindling but the population stayed thick. Dumb people feed them. That turns them into dependents for food rather than self sufficient. Then the people started complaining. So they had a hunting season. Unfortunately, the bears that got taken during the hunting season were not the troublesome bears. Sorry for the rant! But I'm on the bear's side here. I've been here for 30 years and I enjoy co-existing. We've never had trouble with each other. I can't say the same for some of the humans...

A big one here would probably top out at 600 lbs. Most mature ones I see are probably around 400lbs, just guessing, I doubt one would let me pick him up for testing his weight!

The bear corridor is a traditional travel route from their original areas to the breeding grounds which is south of me but not far. They travel this route to breed and birth. I get to witness the migration twice a year. To and from, singles going thru and babies coming back with their mothers. For years, bear hunting was not on our hunting seasons. A year or two ago they had the first bear hunt here in years. They planned on a week hunt but closed it down when the expected harvest was filled out in about 3 days. Our state is getting crowded. More woods destroyed or turned into housing areas so the bear habitat is dwindling but the population stayed thick. Dumb people feed them. That turns them into dependents for food rather than self sufficient. Then the people started complaining. So they had a hunting season. Unfortunately, the bears that got taken during the hunting season were not the troublesome bears. Sorry for the rant! But I'm on the bear's side here. I've been here for 30 years and I enjoy co-existing. We've never had trouble with each other. I can't say the same for some of the humans...

A big one here would probably top out at 600 lbs. Most mature ones I see are probably around 400lbs, just guessing, I doubt one would let me pick him up for testing his weight!

I totally agree with you about siding with the bears. Too much "city creep" going on around this state. But, I'm a transplant from Detroit, over 25 years ago, so, maybe I'm part of the problem - ??

smallfoot, I enjoyed your commentary on Florida bears and land development. You've acquired lots of insight and knowledge in your 30 years living there. I'm a lucky man to be able to know you and communicate with you by this modern means.

Thanks Bob for the thought! I figured we might meet up one on one of your trips down here, just hasn't happened yet!
Maverickmk, we're all the problem to decreasing area for the wild life. It probably won't ever change. It's just some people have no regard for what it means to live in the woods and not be a real problem to the animals and other people. There are only 3 families that live out here and we all love it but one person is a land owner but doesn't actually live out here. He's a real butt head and has no clue how his actions affect everybody else out here. Dealing with a driveway he just had built off the main drive into here. I've spent lots of money getting the road in shape after hurricanes over the years. Built the road up. Placed culverts to direct the water under the driveway so they don't wash when we get those flood waters during the storms. He put his drive way right over the end of the culvert, left a little hole around the end of the culvert but did not provide a ditch or swale to move the water away from the road. I'll have to convince him to fix that before hurricane season hits again because what he left will take my driveway out. If that happens he's gonna have some serious problems with me.

John Prine has a song, "Some People Ain't Human". That population is growing all the time.

My wife led me to John Prine years ago. A lot of wisdom in his songs...
We have the same issues going on here, smallfoot. And now with more exodus from the cities into our rural area it's getting worse. The number of bear sightings around here is growing all the time. Some one took a picture last summer of one in the parking lot of a big box retailer in bigger town not too far from me.
I've hunted everything you can in Michigan, but don't any more. I'd rather just look at them all now.:)
Torchie

Think I've said it before but we'll search high and wide for another Prine. Lots of his stuff had that "been there, done that" feeling to them!

Sadly, some of those people trying to escape those things that some of us have known about forever, don't have a clue that it's themselves they're trying to escape. I've got a stand pat response to somebody that makes a statement like: That's not the way we do it back in...(insert whatever utopian state you want)!!! I'll be short and to the point.."Thank God for that!" The way they want to do it is what screwed up "back home".

Small we have the same issue in the town I have been in all my life. 56 years. I use to know most all the families. and a lot were relatives. You could set your watch by when they went by the house now there are so may new people that want things like street lights and trash pick up and lines painted down road. They complain about the smell of animals and manure we fertalize with and say this is not what they moved out to the country for. They get a short nasty answer from me that I won't print here.

Latest posts

Back