I bought another one today

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonehead

Skull Master
1958 Ford b700 school bus 30 footer... pictures tomorrow.

Here is the scoop. I bought it for the 429, and c6 transmission. The bus had been converted to an RV at some point, and was parked in 1996 at an RV storage yard, never to be driven again. The owner had paid storage on it for all those years, and recently she passed away. The estate did not want it, and gave it to the yard. Years ago someone started pulling the motor, and got as far as removing the hood, (too bad), and the radiator. The storage yard changed hands, and started cleaning out everything that was delinquent. A buddy of mine found out about the 429, (which is on homemade motor mounts), and called me to see if I wanted it. I know I am taking a chance on the motor, but if I sell the whole thing for scrap, I will triple my investment. A bunch of good friends of mine came and helped drag that heavy pig on to my 32 foot gooseneck trailer, and it is now parked in my driveway.

Here is what I know so far: A Wayne body,

The Miller Co. was combined with Wayne's existing professional car subsidiary, Meteor Motor Car Company, forming the new Miller-Meteor (M-M) division of Wayne. The 2 companies competed in 1956, but were doing business as a combination by 1957.
In 1957, under the leadership of Newton Glekel, Divco Corporation bought the Wayne Works, a school bus builder in Richmond, Indiana, and renamed itself, Divco-Wayne Corporation. Divco-Wayne, also known as D-W, was a conglomerate involved in the manufacturing of trucks, school buses, hearses, ambulances and mobile homes, and apparently also had had an electronics section involved in aerospace technology.

This one is heavy. seems like all steel. I probably won't scrap it now, it is good storage if nothing else. I want to drain the oil, and see what is in it. Maybe marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders, then try to start it. Either way the motor comes out for a core, or for a hotrod.

429s rock! Pulled one out of an abandon 69 LTD wagon and stuffed it in my 66 F250. It kicked booty loaded or empty. Then there was that fateful day when a friend borrowed the truck to haul some furniture... :( It just broke. I du-no what happened. :D If you got a pick-up truck you will always have friends.

Oh no!! Not the dreaded school bus! As soon as you get it home you will start piling valuable parts inside, pretty soon it's full of stuff that you don't have room for anywhere else and you are stuck with a big yellow "thing" that your wife keeps harping on how ugly and ghetto it makes the place look. Oh, wait that was me, not you.:D

There is that fear, but I have a place to put it, and the parts are okay where they are. Is there a market for things, like the curved glass in the back?

I'm thinkin'... chicken coop!!! :D

BoB

Attachments

• freerange.jpg
    freerange.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 20
The switch plate that says "mirco lock" would be awesome for a line lock switch...[P

It seems a shame to have all those part that I don't need when somebody restoring an old bus, or RV might need a curved glass, or turn signal or something. I wish there was a good way to advertise that I have all those parts. Craigslist I guess?

I like this idea!!!

This looks to me like a mobile art gallery....... Needs a skull shift knob and some other stuff then yup off to the art fairs it goes.

I'm diggin' that thing! Rat Rod mobile home, flat black of course; mobile art gallery; parts bin; whatever works for ya! Lots of cool pieces. [dr

Latest posts

Back