1955 Ranch Wagon Cruiser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I and many others have said during this entire build. Fantastic.[cl :cool:
Unless they have done something like this before most people have NO idea the amount of work that's involved.
You will be cruising soon. When you meet up with POPS take lots of pics.:D
[P [P [P
Torchie

Back in March (Post 907) I met a guy who had bought a bunch of 55 and 56 Ford parts and a 55/56 Ranch Wagon. We have become friends and have been swapping parts and information.

He asked me what covered the inside of the taillight access holes. Which got me looking for the answer. Turns out I had one of the pieces and he had a couple sets of the rest. There are upper and lower pieces. Turns out they need to go in before the rear quarter windows. I got them in color today - clear in the am.

Attachments

• interior trim rear.jpg
    interior trim rear.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 19
Man there is a lot of pieces to that wagon. Good to have some one that can share knowledge with on a project.
Stay after it.

Yeah, In the last couple weeks I have discovered 10 pieces that I didn't know about.

Problems is, I have a few pieces that don't seem to have a home - yet.

The windshield is scheduled for next Wednesday. :D

I always end up with extra fasteners......nuts, bolts, clips.....

You should send me some, I never have enough.:rolleyes:

Decided I didn't like all the different colors behind the grill so I blacked it out before installing the valance.

The bumper went on, but I seem to be missing the outer brackets. When I looked back through the pics and found the bumper before I took it apart the brackets don't make sense - one end doesn't reach anything. I think I'll need to make the brackets. Without them the bumper is very kinetic and it needs a change of direction - the back needs to go down and in.

I have had a nagging problem that I finally got fixed. The bolt that holds the bottom of the driver's side fender got cross threaded into the nutsert and the nutsert just turned. The nut is inside the rocker panel with only a 1" diameter hole for access. Finally got the bolt out and managed to mangle the nutsert enough to get it out. The fix is in the last pic.

Attachments

• valance installed.jpg
    valance installed.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 30
  • bumper installed.jpg
    bumper installed.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 33
  • nutsert fender.jpg
    nutsert fender.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 31
  • nutsert fix.jpg
    nutsert fix.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 29
Well I figured out the outer bumper bracket. I was looking for 1/4" x2" that bolted to the frame. It was 12 ga and bolts to the sheet metal.

Attachments

• outer bumper bracket.jpg
    outer bumper bracket.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 24
Here's the rear corner trim installed.

I got the fuzzies on the window trim. I used the tool I made for installing staples and #4 flat head sheet metal screws. They disappear beneath the surface. A little black paint makes them disappear.

Attachments

• rear conrer trim installed.jpg
    rear conrer trim installed.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 32
  • window fuzzy 1.jpg
    window fuzzy 1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 32
  • window fuzzy screw.jpg
    window fuzzy screw.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 35
  • staple tool.jpg
    staple tool.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 24
Yesterday a couple guys came and installed the windshield and liftgate glass.

Stainless trim fits into the gasket and installs with the glass. I spent most of today finishing up that trim. The windshield needed screws to hold the bottom piece. Had to drill the pinch weld for those screws (first photo). Of course the holes for the vertical piece didn't line up with the old holes. I ended up drilling new holes in the door jamb for #4 flatheads.

Attachments

• windshield trim.jpg
    windshield trim.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 19
  • windshield trim screw.jpg
    windshield trim screw.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 22
The back glass was a little more difficult. There is a small flange at the bottom of the trim. When the gate is closed the holes rest on the weatherstrip so the standard trim clips that are studs don't work. The clips need to be nuts. At any rate here's my solution, including the crappy drawing. I used long set screws as handles to find the holes.

Those guys sweated all over my glass - wimps (well it was 11 + at 4:00 pm when they were here) . Tomorrow - clean glass and install the interior trim.

Attachments

• lift gate trim 3.jpg
    lift gate trim 3.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 17
  • lift gate trim nut drwg.jpg
    lift gate trim nut drwg.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 19
  • lift gate trim nut1.jpg
    lift gate trim nut1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 17
  • lift gate trim nut3.jpg
    lift gate trim nut3.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 15
  • liftgate trim1.jpg
    liftgate trim1.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 15
  • lift gate trim 2.jpg
    lift gate trim 2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 16
Got the driver's side quarter window in. The front actually slides, but I don't have the latch on yet. The front, outer window has a weatherstrip seal that came as a rubber extrusion. The first one took an hour of struggling, the second one went on in a couple minutes. Big learning curve. I was a little bummed when I figured out that the inner trim will have to be removed to do the headliner.

Attachments

• quarter window outside.jpg
    quarter window outside.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 18
  • quarter window inside.jpg
    quarter window inside.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 13
  • glass channel lip.jpg
    glass channel lip.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 15
Also got the interior windshield trim and dash extensions in. From the outside, the dash extension doesn't look too friendly with the dash. Not sure if they are in wrong of that's just the way Ford made them. The look OK from the inside.

Attachments

• dash trim inside .jpg
    dash trim inside .jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 18
  • dash extension outside.jpg
    dash extension outside.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 21
Don't think that they are wrong DJ. The fit and finish on these cars from the factory is way different that what we have come to expect from our modern cars.
And when we see them restored we see them as how people want them to look now. Not as they were when new.
Keep plugging away at it. You are nearing the end my friend....:D [cl :cool:
Torchie

Don't think that they are wrong DJ. The fit and finish on these cars from the factory is way different that what we have come to expect from our modern cars.
And when we see them restored we see them as how people want them to look now. Not as they were when new.
Keep plugging away at it. You are nearing the end my friend....:D [cl :cool:
Torchie

All the fit and finish details bother me when I'm putting them together - by next week I won't notice them.

Looks great! [cl I see cruizing in the near future![cl

I'm going to start on the mechanicals next week. Hopefully, I'm really close to at least a first drive.

Latest posts

Back