1929 Essex/Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been a while for an update, too busy driving her just under 1000 miles since July.
Have had a bad front main seal leak that had got so bad I was getting oil drops on the both doors. A while back I changed the harmonic balance cuz the old on had a bad wobble. I didn't change the seal at that time cuz of what I have read on the web, saying it's almost impossible to out the new front seal in with bending the timing cover if you can even get the old seal out. Well some much for what to read on the web.
I pulled the balance lubed up the new seal and stuck it in the freezer of my beer fridge. Put a new speedy sleave on the balancer. Using a center punch I tapped a hole in the old seal at 9 and 3 o'clock position, then screwed a 1 1/4 long screw into each of the punched holes. grabbed a claw hammer and popped the old seal out in 5 seconds. I had an 1 1/2"abs pipe connector that fit the seal perfect, to tap it in. Took the now really cold seal tapped it in the timing cover very easily. Balancer, fan and belts back on all in less than an hour, out for a test drive and no more leak.

Now I can drive to Maple Creek Sk. for there show and shine next weekend.

Good golly miss Molly you've been puttin some miles on her. I haven't been able to get mine out due to weather lately along with needing a new spindle but haven't gotten to that yet. Hope you enjoy the show and keep puttin miles on her. You've done a damn good job.

Thanks a bunch Guys. The trip to the show this weekend, 100 miles, one way will be it's longest yet, if it goes with out any problems then in two weeks I'm taking it on holidays on a 500 mile rounder.

So yesterday I was checking things over and found another problem. The steering box is bolted with two bolts through the 1/4 inch plate welded flush to the inside of the frame and one bolt through the frame on the underside of the box as seen in this picture.

The outside of the frame where the lower bolt goes though is covered with a 3/16" plate plus the frame. I guess the torque on the steering box is considerably more than I imagined, as the bolt had come lose probably from the frame tube compressing:eek:. My fix was to remove the bolt, drill the outer hole oversize and weld in a bushing /tube to join the inside and outside walls of the frame.
Hopefully this will take care of that problem.

Si I had these two ugly trim holes on either side of the cowl and have been driving myself nuts on what to do with them. Found these two $18. sculls on Amazon, I think they worked great.

I'm with smallfoot, those are screaming to have lights in them either as turn signals or as running lights. You can pick up a bag of very bright tiny LEDs with the proper resistors already attached on ebay really cheap.

You could get creative and make those skulls into turn signals with some small LEDs....

I'm with smallfoot, those are screaming to have lights in them either as turn signals or as running lights. You can pick up a bag of very bright tiny LEDs with the proper resistors already attached on ebay really cheap.

Thanks Guys, I'm thinking you have a good idea there. Another project to keep me busy over the long cold winter:cool:

The Essex and I are off to Havre Mt. this morning to meet a fellow RRR member. 280 mile round trip. So yesterday I figured I better jack her up and give her a good look over. My front seal leak is fixed 100% but the trans output seal was leaking like crazy everything from the tailstock back will never rust. Put a new seal in and polished up the slip yoke and all is good.
Should be interesting at the Canada/ U.S. border at 9am:rolleyes:

Hope you got her packed away for the winter Dozer. So far we've got about 7" of heavy wet snow down here. Been breaking lots of branches on trees and such.

We just got our second round of snow, had about 4 inches on Saturday, Sunday was real nice and it all melted. Woke up yesterday to an real ugly sky and got another 5 inches, forecast for later this week is low double digits C so I'm hoping to get out in the Essex with a jacket a couple more times.;)

I was in Saskatoon over the weekend to visit my daughter who lives there. Got to drive through some of that slop. Real weird sensation when the Cruze starts spinning the tires at 115 kph. Glad it hasn't made it to Winnipeg .... yet!

Latest posts

Back