Extending a pickup cab?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

I needs me a pickup could always use another project. I figured I might try and kill both with one stone buy getting an old truck. Thinking pre-67 chevy full size, always like those. The problem is I cannot fit in these old single cab pickups worth a damn b/c I'm 6' 6", esp if I have work a clutch.

Anyone ever stretch a cab a foot or so? Why is this a bad idea? I'm thinking I would need an entire extra cab or at least some extra doors for sheetmetal filler. If I got a longbed I could shorten the bed and it would still look good.

Thoughts??

I needs me a pickup could always use another project. I figured I might try and kill both with one stone buy getting an old truck. Thinking pre-67 chevy full size, always like those. The problem is I cannot fit in these old single cab pickups worth a damn b/c I'm 6' 6", esp if I have work a clutch.

Anyone ever stretch a cab a foot or so? Why is this a bad idea? I'm thinking I would need an entire extra cab or at least some extra doors for sheetmetal filler. If I got a longbed I could shorten the bed and it would still look good.

Thoughts??

yep did this with a 55 cab, use 2 set of doors and the back half of another cab, add 16inches in it,,, looked really cool too!, sorry dont have pics but its not that big of a deal, just time!

i have a 63 chevy truck that was turned into an extended cad truck it was done by using two trucks and the bed sides were used as fillers for it and early s10 extended cab windows were used.it can be done here is proof but takes lots of time to make it look factory.good luck with your proect

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 91
chop pkp tps

i just picked up a running 1977 chevy van,all rusted out,for 200 bucks from an estate sale.would like to cut the frame and mount a pickup cab but would like to chop the top off, as i am a tall guy,wondering what the issues r to stiffin up the cab to run topless regarding bracing,and my frame is goin to be a little wide,but i have a in on ol pickup cabs.need some advice or ideas:confused:

Instead of an extended cab look, how would it look if you extended the length of the doors 12"? Might be easier to do sheet metal wise.

yep did this with a 55 cab, use 2 set of doors and the back half of another cab, add 16inches in it,,, looked really cool too!, sorry dont have pics but its not that big of a deal, just time!

Did you stretch the doors or add material to the back like bandedo did?

I think stretching the doors would look cool too. Of course then you have the problem of dealing with the windows...

Yeah I'm just thinking about having the mechanism still work after stretching the doors. I guess you could stretch it where the 1/4 windows are, leaving the roll-up part the same.

Yeah I'm just thinking about having the mechanism still work after stretching the doors. I guess you could stretch it where the 1/4 windows are, leaving the roll-up part the same.

As long as you get the tracks right, I don't think the regulator (the scissors) really needs to change size. Otherwise you may need to fab up something using a regulator out of a two door.

i have a 63 chevy truck that was turned into an extended cad truck it was done by using two trucks and the bed sides were used as fillers for it and early s10 extended cab windows were used.it can be done here is proof but takes lots of time to make it look factory.good luck with your proect

All I can say is...DAMN!!:eek::cool::cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

thanks, here are a few more pics of it when being finished up that is if they are ever finished.:cool:

Attachments

• my pictures 006.JPG
    my pictures 006.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 20
  • my pictures 013.JPG
    my pictures 013.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 22
Stretching pick em ups

Oh Yeah! Can Do! Been done a lot in So.Cal. Definately doable. Guys are just now stretching all rods including T buckets. I think this is because most of us are getting fatter! lol- Mikey

I used to like them a lot more than I do now. I guess because so many of them just look wrong. I did have an idea that will probably never materialize. On an older cab like a 30s or 40s. Use 2 cabs and stretch it only 4-5 inches but do it in the door and just cut/weld 2 doors on each side to make them longer and not change the back of the cab. The extra needed leg room, a very subtle mod. I'm sure it's been done but I have never seen it. Oh, and I would chop the top just a couple inches too.

Latest posts

Back