has anyone made their own speedo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I found the headlamp bucket I can use. It is off of a 99 Buell X1 that I bought to part out (andbuild a chopper out of the motor). It is about 10" in dia. I also have a autometer 3 5/8 speedo that I can take apart and use the guts out of.

I just got a new Street Rodder iin the mail today(August issue) that has an article on using new gages to update old, stock gage panels. I haven't read it yet,but might be some info you can use there.

I don't know if you could find one, but Lincoln Zephers in about '39-'40 used a large faced speedometer in the center of the dash.

I just got a new Street Rodder iin the mail today(August issue) that has an article on using new gages to update old, stock gage panels. I haven't read it yet,but might be some info you can use there.

I don't know if you could find one, but Lincoln Zephers in about '39-'40 used a large faced speedometer in the center of the dash.

humm... my issue isnt in yet but I will keep an eye out for it. Yea I have seen the zepher speedos. Also I believe 39-42 chevy cars had a large speedo. and I just saw in a pic thread I think on here that someone used a police spot light to house their speedo in it. [cl

So I was bored....

and this is what happened. The 10" light is suddenly an 8" light when the tape is put to it. I know my wife is laughing right now! But anyways, I pulled apart the lamp as seen in pic 2. then I destroyed a brand new autometer speedo!:D There is a shot of the S10 gauge panel that I made for this set originally. I think I might just get away with making a new face and needle for this unit. not a ground breaking build by any means but it satisfies my A.D.D. for at least a couple of hours. [;)

Attachments

• speedo 3.jpg
    speedo 3.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 37
  • speedo 2.jpg
    speedo 2.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 37
  • speedo 1.jpg
    speedo 1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 40
  • s-10 dash.jpg
    s-10 dash.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 39
Look into tranperancy paper you can run through your printer. The last guage panel I made used the factory Toyota speedo guts and VDO guage guts for the rest. Work out the face pattern on the computer print it out on tranparency paper, glue it to a piece of metal and BAM!!!!! instant speedo.

thread police,

still a lot of good info on a lot of the older posts,

help keep'em alive[P

Later :cool:

PS, l have to make me a new speedo, the old one is all brown and yellow and full of holes for some reason[S

Later :cool:

So this is a different speedo but since I started this thread I figured i would post these in here. I took the original gauges out of my 1950 GMC project and gutted them. I re-used the housings face and bezels. I then took a 1994 chevy truck cluster and blew it apart. You can see the pic on my tool box of what his turns into. All of the individual gauges pop out of the 94 cluster. Just mark what they are and which way is up. Once they are out they all look the same. I re-worked the face to accept the new speedo motor and odometer. then painted the face black and glued the number part of the 94 cluster face to the old face. Now just to wire it up!

1359305523.jpg

1359305513.jpg

1359305537.jpg

1359305478.jpg

1359305445.jpg

This is what I came up with. The speedo is just set in the hole in the last pic so it is kinda crooked. I have started on the other 4 gauge cluster so it will match and have all modern internals. [cl

1359305487.jpg

1359305432.jpg

1359307389.jpg

I was hoping to do that too, but the newer gauges are all a part of a huge circuit board with the controller all built in... =(

Your resto mod gauges look awesome!

DR Not sure how the Ford stuff is built but the GM unit I am using has individual motors for the needles. There is a small circuit board but that is easily mounted to the back of the speedo. The rest is just re-wiring it to eliminate the printed circuit board.

Here is how I did the 4 gauge cluster. It was even easier than the speedo. FYI for those who are or know electricians. The greeley 1" conduit knock out punch set leaves an actual 1.13" hole. The GM gauge motors need a 1.11" hole. Perfect! BUT you need to off set the hole 1/4" towards the inside of the gauge. If you center the new hole on the old gauge center hole the new gauges will be to far out. Ask me how I know this! lol! [cl

1359305411.jpg

1359316778.jpg

Latest posts

Back