has anyone made their own speedo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
I was thinking (usually dangerous!) of making my own speedo. reason is I can't find what I want. mainly it will be taking a new speedo, say an autometer, and make my own face, needle, and lens. Anyone have any isight to this endevor? thanks in advance![P

Never made a speedo but I've made clocks and what your are describing would be just like buying clock works and making a clock......frankly I'm a little ticked (pun intended) that I didn't think of this myself [S I think it would be very cool and definitely one of a kind. Go for it[;)

I 'refurbished' a tach for my F100 once. The old 60's tach's were mechanical. I found just the tach without the distributor drive. Popped it open and gutted it. Went and bought a little cheapy electric tach and mounted the face plate and needle on it. Then sealed it all back up in the original case. The scale doesn't match 100% - at 3,900RPM it reads 4,000. I can live with that on a tach.

never made one but took a a old harley speedo apart painted the face plate. painted a ace of spades with a skull and cross bones in the middle of the ace of spades. did some other designs for some guys i knew that was years ago.

skull, is this you???!!

Holy Crap!!!!!! Tighty whities....... Holy crap!!!!!!

Attachments

• original.jpg
    original.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 18
I was thinking (usually dangerous!) of making my own speedo. reason is I can't find what I want. mainly it will be taking a new speedo, say an autometer, and make my own face, needle, and lens. Anyone have any isight to this endevor? thanks in advance![P

If you have photoshop, make the design you want, print it and have it laminated, trim to fit and reinstall needle and lens.

Actually I want to go bigger. I was thinking of taking a large headlamp bucket and trim ring, trimming off the back, making a speedo face that is like 10" in diameter, make a new clear lens glass and install in the center of the dash. Can't find what I want so I will have to build it. [;)

Wouldn't a regular speedo internals work?

Actually I want to go bigger. I was thinking of taking a large headlamp bucket and trim ring, trimming off the back, making a speedo face that is like 10" in diameter, make a new clear lens glass and install in the center of the dash. Can't find what I want so I will have to build it. [;)

Take a speedo take out the internals and then make a face as large as you'd like... if you remember the 60's cars had those really long face speedos... I'm sure you could use the internals from them and just make the dial a round face dial instead...[S might even work on any speedo as long as you center the workings to the face..... Maybe?

You should be able to go as big as you like as long as you draw a straight line from the needle shaft through the existing numerals to locate your new ones. Then just make a longer needle. Should be the same principle as a clock, the minute hand makes one rev per no matter how big the clock is. I've seen a few different factory speedos and tachs mounted in headlight cans but your idea sounds cooler :cool: Can't wait to see what you come up with.[P[P

how extensive of "building your own" do you mean?

full construction or take an old _______ whatever to take apart and make look how you want?????????????????

Would it be possible to use an old sprocket or gear of some size and somehow calibrate needle movement to corelate to rise and tooth location?

You'd have to use a pretty light weight needle of something wouldn't you?

Anyone out there have any pics of what they've made?

Latest posts

Back