Who's running inline 6 engines?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ike

Banned
I am a fan of inline 6 engines. I thought I would put an inline 6 in my truck. Anyone on the board have a 6 in their rat? If so how about some pics and details on the installation. I know you got em out there let's see em. Oh yea PLEASE

250 Chevy

I will be putting a 250 Chevy inliner in my '51 F1. Yea, I know a Chevy in a Ford again, but it was cheap! I'm still gathering parts for the project and trying to finish others. Maybe I'll start this summer. The engine will have an Offy 3X1 manifold with Rochester B carburetors and home made headers straight pipes. I have TH350 laying around so I'll use it.

I also have a '54 Stude R3 pickupthat has the 170 Flathead in it. I just recently found a site that had high compression heads, multiple carb intakes and headers so I may go that route instead of the BB chevy I have. http://www.cathcartsstudebaker.com

Attachments

• f988_3.jpg
    f988_3.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 49
I like 6 bangers and the Ford 300 is one of my all time favorites. I was considering a small six build (Ford 200) for an economy run about truck. Sad thing is they sound like poop and you can't fix that

inline 6

Here's my a couple of pic's of my build... 250 chevy with a 47 Ford roadster pick up around it. first 2 are mock up with the cab only ,the next 2 are with the frame and cab. yesterday I took the cab to the sand blasters, and picked up my rear end it;s a 10 bolt GM with disk brakes. I went with a 6 in hopes of getting better gas mileage than my 47 Ford with it's 351w. we'll see Doug

Attachments

• DCP00476.JPG
    DCP00476.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 57
  • DCP00477.JPG
    DCP00477.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 46
  • DCP00500.JPG
    DCP00500.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 44
  • DCP00501.JPG
    DCP00501.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 52
Slanters!

Ike,
Ck these fotos of a kool slanter 6bang I took @ Lonestar Round Up last year...

Slanter 6bang @ LSRU

Also... in the new Hot Rod mag there's a article on an old 60's FI slanter 6bang digger!

BoB

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for the replies and pics. I have a Jeep 4.0 that I believe will make a good cruzzer. Most of my driving will be hiway miles. I was offered a 96 Jeep that was wrecked. Complete running Jeep for $350 and that aint bad. It was hit in passenger side of the vehicle. Lots of other goodies in there too. A friend of mine has wrecker service. Cheap prices on some good parts cars and trucks. Has an old Falcon 4 door for $600 if anyone is interested. Complete car has engine and tranny it's all there.

hey that rodster looks cool

Here's my a couple of pic's of my build... 250 chevy with a 47 Ford roadster pick up around it. first 2 are mock up with the cab only ,the next 2 are with the frame and cab. yesterday I took the cab to the sand blasters, and picked up my rear end it;s a 10 bolt GM with disk brakes. I went with a 6 in hopes of getting better gas mileage than my 47 Ford with it's 351w. we'll see Doug

Doug it looks like you are going t build a roof for that rodster, what are you going to build the roof out of? the lines look cool.

Pablo

IT's not officially done yet because I'm trying to get my 40 on the road before diving into my pick up...but, my 47 Studebaker is going to have the 250 six in it that I built a few years ago

Here's a pic of the truck and below that is a pic of the motor before I pulled it out of my Nova...now use your minds eye to picture the two together

Truck1.jpg

67engine2.jpg

I will be putting a 250 Chevy inliner in my '51 F1. Yea, I know a Chevy in a Ford again, but it was cheap! I'm still gathering parts for the project and trying to finish others. Maybe I'll start this summer. The engine will have an Offy 3X1 manifold with Rochester B carburetors and home made headers straight pipes. I have TH350 laying around so I'll use it.

I also have a '54 Stude R3 pickupthat has the 170 Flathead in it. I just recently found a site that had high compression heads, multiple carb intakes and headers so I may go that route instead of the BB chevy I have. http://www.cathcartsstudebaker.com

DMW (and all you other guys who have Studebakers)...here is a link to the Studebaker vendors site....pretty much if you want it for a Studebaker you can find it here

http://www.studebakervendors.com/

DMW (and all you other guys who have Studebakers)...here is a link to the Studebaker vendors site....pretty much if you want it for a Studebaker you can find it here

http://www.studebakervendors.com/

Thanks Ron, Wow there's wealth of info there.

OK, I just went out and put the Offy on the 250. Here's some photos.

Attachments

• IMG2.jpg
    IMG2.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1.jpg
    IMG_1.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 58
DougnDog - Cool project you have there. You should start a build thread. My backburner project is a 49 Ford cab turned roadster. I love the look of your top.

Oh and on topic I'd love to stick a 6 in a modified project someday :D

I need motor mount brakets for a 250 chevy six?
The kind that uses the 3 bolts to to bolt the motor mount to the block.
I have one side ,if i could find the other would be great!

Roadster Pickup

HI Pablo. the roof is going to be tin with a canvas materal glued on it. it will be reamoveable. the picture show's the mock up strips so I could get a idea of what it will look like. no side windows, so the cardbord is going to be 1/4 glass windwings no trim just the glass with adjustable hinges. hope to have the rod on wheels by feb first, I'll post the build up to date with lots of pic's then.:) sorry for the spelling :eek: Doug

Doug and RoddingRon, you guys have some awesome projects going there. I hope you have build up threads on here somewhere!!!!!

I've got a 250 6cyl, powerglide combo going in one of my projects;

100_5530-vi.jpg

Another 6....

Here is the '49 Chevy "hi-torque" 235 in my roadster.
McGurk intake with 3 Strombergs, McGurk cam, Nicson covers, Mallory duel point. '22

Attachments

• e1rrr.jpg
    e1rrr.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 30
  • e2rrr.jpg
    e2rrr.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 37
Engine

Hi dodge22 nice looking engine:) I have a stock 68 250 cu in chevy, I hope to run 3 singels on it. but I read somewhere that unless the engine was built to the max it would not run right?:confused: any thoughts on this I would like to hear. also is their a carb out their that's not as costly as Strombergs Thanks Doug

Hi dodge22 nice looking engine:) I have a stock 68 250 cu in chevy, I hope to run 3 singels on it. but I read somewhere that unless the engine was built to the max it would not run right?:confused: any thoughts on this I would like to hear. also is their a carb out their that's not as costly as Strombergs Thanks Doug

You should be able to run 3 singles without problems. If you do have any issues you can always block off one (or two if you need), but I really don't see that being a problem. On my "built" 250 I had a 600 Holley on it and probably could have gone bigger. On the stock 250 I had a 450 Holley with no problems (the 600 was to much for the stock set up though). When I get to combining my pick up with the built 250 I'll start with the 600, but I may try bigger...guess we'll see.

Worse case is you may want to bump the cam up to the next level, or even just clean up and match the ports if you don't want to change the cam. Again I think you could go with the 3 singles...3 dueces would be a different story, but 3 singles....go for it

Latest posts

Back