Who's running inline 6 engines?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi dodge22 nice looking engine:) I have a stock 68 250 cu in chevy, I hope to run 3 singels on it. but I read somewhere that unless the engine was built to the max it would not run right?:confused: any thoughts on this I would like to hear. also is their a carb out their that's not as costly as Strombergs Thanks Doug

The stock 1GC rochesters should work fine and they are everywhere. Just getting the power valve and jetting dialed in will take a little experimenting with anything. Strombergs are getting to be in the stupid money catagory I think. Leave them for the guys with 3 bolt flanges and lots of $$$

Hi dodge22 nice looking engine:) I have a stock 68 250 cu in chevy, I hope to run 3 singels on it. but I read somewhere that unless the engine was built to the max it would not run right?:confused: any thoughts on this I would like to hear. also is their a carb out their that's not as costly as Strombergs Thanks Doug

You shouldn't have any problems with 3 carbs (single barrels), but exhaust header would help and upgraded cam wouldn't hurt.
Thanks for the complement. '22

The stock 1GC rochesters should work fine and they are everywhere. Just getting the power valve and jetting dialed in will take a little experimenting with anything. Strombergs are getting to be in the stupid money catagory I think. Leave them for the guys with 3 bolt flanges and lots of $$$

I am running Stromberg single barrels, model BXOV-2, 2 bolt flange.
I have paid anywhere from $10.00 for a rebuildable core to $40.00 for a newly rebuilt
with an adjustable jet from eBay.
Having bought 8 carbs over the last year, they are readily available.
Rochesters will also work OK, I just prefer the Strombergs. '22

Just the stock 170 but I like it and will only replace it with a 200 if one becomes available. 1962 Ford Falcon
Myfalcon9-30-07002.jpg

Carbs

A BIG THANK"S to you ALL for your replys! To have info at your finger tip's is so Great:D. be'ing able to get info from such a vast group of people make's building my rod even sweeter:p Doug

Beautiful Flipper

When you get that in the T post the pics. That will be something worth seeing. An old Jag motor and tranny in a T now that's different. Good luck with the build.

I am running Stromberg single barrels, model BXOV-2, 2 bolt flange.
I have paid anywhere from $10.00 for a rebuildable core to $40.00 for a newly rebuilt
with an adjustable jet from eBay.
Having bought 8 carbs over the last year, they are readily available.
Rochesters will also work OK, I just prefer the Strombergs. '22
Yeah, I was refering to the 2 bbl ones.

How about a Toyota 2F? It is the 4.2 liter inline 6 that came in the Landcruisers from '70 thru '87. 135hp and a buttload of torque. There is a ton of aftermarket support for them. I have a stock one in my '87 Landcruiser with 287,000 miles on it. Runs like a sewing machine.

If I build something fairly light, the 2F and Toyota 4spd is what I will be using. If I go heavier, it will be the 390.

Hodag

My Studes all have I-6's in them

51 Bullet nose
2007_09080023.jpg

46 M-5
2007_08170007.jpg

And my 600 amp Hobart welder has an I-6 Chrysler
2006_0109Image0001.jpg

Been out of town and missed this thread. I am a big fan of the strait six as well. I have a Ford 300 in mine and am backing it with a T-5 out of a mustang. The trans bolts up no problem, but the 300 flywheel was to big to fit in the mustang bell housing. After asking the guys over at fordsix.com, it sounds like there are a couple of ways to fix the problem and I chose to find a zero balance 157 tooth flywheel. Found one at Summit, not cheap, but I think those problems are solved and I also bought the mustang clutch to go with it. I got a set of split manifolds from the junk yard and am thinking single 2 1/2" pipe out the the back to handle the exhaust duties . For the induction, I just got a Harley Davidson side draft carbs off e-bay and am planning to run two of these for the induction. The intake manifold should be fun:D

i got a 1966, gmc 292 in my 51 chevy hardtop the inline sixes are some of the best bang for the buck i think plus they put out so much tourqe its unbeliveable the motor i got is rated at 175 horsepower stock and im got a four barrel intake manifold for it should work pretty well.

When you get that in the T post the pics. That will be something worth seeing. An old Jag motor and tranny in a T now that's different. Good luck with the build.

ditto!!!! thats goin to be a kool build!:cool:

I've got a 250 in a 67 GMC truck I'm fixing to work on after I get the 235 in my 58 Hellray running.

Latest posts

Back