cheap t-buckets????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopper tom

Way too young to be a hippy!
I am gathering parts for my 4 cylender t-bucket build and would like some info and ideas for the build as how to save money and easy ways to do the stering and radiator for the 4 cyl set up?
I figure that sence i'm running a 4 cyl that it will be easy to find a cheap stering box because i have so much room ,and that i can use a small easy to find radiator for it???
This i suppose to be a bugget build so i will make as much as possible for it.

I was eyeing an old toyota wagon with a 4 speed, rear drive. It was a carburated small 6 cylinder, really cool looking. I guess the VW bus steering box is popular, also the F-1, F-100. I got everything off an old econoline but my steering box was apart and got destroyed. You can even get a low mount set of pedals from the econoline, plus the front axle and steering. I got 2 of them for $5, don't get much cheaper than that. for a frame I think cheapest/easiest is to just buy new metal and make your own, especially if you are going to suicide the front. A frames are cool but by the time you box them and fill all the holes they just aren't worth the time invested imho. I have seen some 20s truck frames that are really cool, could have bought the whole running gear at auction for a couple bucks. Some of them are heavy enough guage that you wouldn't have to worry about boxing.

Cheap T buckets

Here's a front end that might be the way to go. It's a '37 to '40 front axle assem. with an A front spring behind the axle. The neat thing about this is you can build the car as low as you want by raising the spring perch.

Attachments

• First '27 '75 (Small) (7).jpg
    First '27 '75 (Small) (7).jpg
    32 KB · Views: 65
  • First '27 '75 (Small) (5).jpg
    First '27 '75 (Small) (5).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 70
  • First '27 '75 (Small) (4).jpg
    First '27 '75 (Small) (4).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 66
Tom, some ways I've saved $$$ on a build:
1. Econoline or Chevy van or Chevy truck front axles. I narrow them a bit but you don't have to. I cut and grind all the extra poopoo off them so they look nice.
2. I look for front and rear axles that have had a recent brake job. I't surprising how many people pour money into a vehicle and then junk it.
3. Trade for stuff.
4. Geo rack & pinion steering for $25 at the U-Pull-It. Works great on a straight axle as long as you mount to the axle and include a slip joint in the steering shaft.
5. Junkyard steering u-joints instead of aftermarket. In fact, use as many junkyard parts as possible instead of mail order parts. I even get tune up parts there because that's the last thing people try before junking their car.
We built my son's '27 roadster for $3,000, and that included buying a $675 glass body and a $400 aluminum radiator. So, with a Mustang radiator and a body you already have, a couple thousand should easily get you on the road.
Bob

craigslist is your friend , I got an S-10 rear end yesterday for $25 , I had to pull it but no big deal with a torch , when I was leaving I noticed another rear in the weeds , turned out to be a 9" ford , got that one for $50 ....

i'll 2nd that craigslist recommendation! thats where my FREE motor/trans combo came from, and where i found my $200 r.p.u. body... seriously, just be patient as you hunt the parts you need and resist the urge to go all checkbook on the project and you'll be amazed how cheap buildin a hotrod can be. mines just about done and i've got $3200 bucks in it.

Attachments

• bodyon.jpg
    bodyon.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 66
T-bucket

It might be cheap to build a t-bucket but don"t take any shortcuts on safety.Run front and rear brakes and definitely a good steering syatem. Craigslist is good for parts,I just today put a 24 t-frame on there for $350 allready sanded and painted.:cool:

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 30
I'm building a '27 w/2.3 turbocharged 4 cyl. Front end is '38 Ford w/cross steer so I needed a small box way up front. Picked up an '87 Suzuki Samurai box with u-joint and column cheap at the yard. Compact and sturdy.

P9010056.jpg

P9010055.jpg

Also, if you're considering coilovers on the rear, a dirt cheap option is off a late 70's early 80's Jaguar XJ6. They have 4 of 'em and the spring rate is about perfect for a light T roadster!

P9010060.jpg

I picked up a 4 cyl and 4 speed from a good running 73 Ford Courier. It is kind of a cool looking little motor. I'll have to figure out how to move the shifter forward to use it in a T. I have 25 TT truck cab that would make a cool project.
I used a 37 Ford box on a T. I mounted it to the frame rail and set it up for side steer. It looked traditional. The 37 box doesn't steer as easy as some later boxes but it worked okay on a light car and it was cheap. Snagging a complete front end and steering box of a 30/40's Ford gets you a lot of parts and guys are happy to get rid of them when changing to a Mustang II set up. You might check with some shops that do that kind of work.

Don't forget to post a wanted ad on Craigslist looking for free or cheap parts. You would be amazed how many cars, trailers, tools and parts you can pick up for free or super cheap.

Latest posts

Back