My take on bomber seats... what you guys think

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CORPO

Buildin' it his way, one piece at a time...
Alright im not quite done but heres how it went.. well actually i started with a cardboard mock up...

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

Sorry about the pics being sideways.. i tried to fix it in photo bucket.. but it wasnt working.. ill fix it later.. i got to get back to work

Wait ... i think i got it...

To answer the questions:

I am welding them, haven't decided if i am going to tig them, I have access to an alum mig but have never used it before and hear its a little tricky. Its some auto sensing unit...

The material is quarter inch, and the pieces were scrap, hence the limit on size therefore the back and sides couldn't be one piece

I got a cool plan for mounting them, well.. i will be mounting them to a piece of plywood to see if my plan works since my truck is basically still in the early stages... just waiting for the snow to go away

What do you guys think about the rendering with the holes in the back? do it for style or leave them out for "comfort" the bottoms will get pads

Thanks for the comments guys

I vote in favor of the large holes. Save your drawings for mass production at a later date...it looks to me as though a lot of people would be interested in them. It will also be easier to laser cut the large holes in the Al. Nice work!

Go with the holes on the back. It won't be much less comfortable than without and if your where it gets real hot and humid, it'll help to avoid heat rash on yer back.

Those are badass seats!!! Really nice design and I like the thickness of the aluminum. Your onto something with those!

Have you considered making anymore?? I'd be interested to know what you might ask for a set?

Great job!

Thunder1

I dig em! Bet you made em alot cheaper than buyin them. I take it you or a buddy work at a machine shop of some sort. I don't know much about weldin aluminum but I've seen a buddy of mine Tig before and I'd say do that. Nicer lookin welds. Post some pics when your done we all would like to see the finished results.

Thanks guys for all the feedback, i do think i will put the big holes in the back. The only problem with the big holes is trying to make them match the smaller holes.. the smaller hole are all chamfered from both sides to give it a little more detail....

Im an engineer, we have a machine shop as well as a full metal production facility where i work but i did all the work myself...I know that the laser would be much easier to put the big holes in (would have been great for cutting the sides too) but i dont think my boss would be to happy with me stopping production to put some holes in a personal project

I have been on this site for a while... i dont think i ever did an intro over here i did one on KB but dont think i did over here

Working on my first build 36 chevy (1.5T) the plan is to build a traditional inspired rod but i am going to keep it a dually with the big 20's Its going to get chopped and sectioned and channeled...

Im 24 and live outside chicago... i dont know what else to tell you

Nice seats CORPO. Like the others, I like the big holes in the backs also. I run bomber seats in one of my cars. I just use removable cushions. I put them in for driving on trips and then throw them in the trunk when I get to where I'm going so the seat details show better.

To answer the questions:

The material is quarter inch, and the pieces were scrap, hence the limit on size therefore the back and sides couldn't be one piece

Scraps, that explains that. I use a lot of them because the price is right:D As for the workmanship and design I think it's a GREAT job. The big holes look nice but do you plan on any 200+ mile trips? If so you may wanna leave em alone.

Nice seats. They do look better with the big holes but I know what you mean about wanting them to look like the other holes.

You could stack the sides and clamp them with clamps. Then clamp them to the mill table, and hole saw your large holes. It would be pretty fool proof for getting all them big holes in all at once. Then chamfer them with a carbide router bit in a router one at a time. That should put a real nice finish on them.

When you are holesawing, lots of lub (wd-40 is good for aluminum)

the hole saw is how i have been putting the larger holes in, i went ahead and put the big holes in the back... i consulted with my girlfriend and she said they looked better with the big holes too.... i figured she would be the one complaining if they are un comfortable...

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back