1" chop?! Whatz up with that?!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
I picked up my fav mag today... Street Rodder! On the cover it said they were gonna chop a '40 Ford & I thought that would be a kool article! I start reading & they're only gonna chop it 1"! I mean... WHAT'S the point?!? It's still a pretty kool bit but if I'm gonna go to all that trouble... 3" would be the very *least* i'd even consider!!! KRAZY!!!

BoB

I know lots of folks on this forum are a little quick to think about chopping everything 9"+, but you have to give it some thought -

It fits the style of the build. A hot rod '40 coupe would look goofy with an aggressive chop. The 1" chop is a lot of work, but it will keep the flow of the car for the look they are going for and still have folks scratching their heads as to why it looks just a little different. Sometimes it's the subtle things that are most satisfying.

As an example, there was a '64 Riviera at Detroit Autorama a few years back. SUPER slick, nice, bitchin' car all around. Now I love me some Rivi's and I always check them out, but this one just had "something" that had me drooling at first sight. As I'm reading down the list of mods, there it is - 1.5" chop. It was done so well you would have never thought to guess it, but it made the car stand out SO much. Any more and the car would have looked squashed and hacked, and without it was just another nice car. Made me a believer!

Seems like a lot of work for only an inch but BED is correct in the look someone may be going after....40's do look a little odd to me with a large chop....saw a few 37 chevys chopped to the max and most looked horrible...saw one with a really small chop and it was beautiful....very tasteful .....

A few years ago George Poteet had a '32 Ford coupe built. It was chopped 1". I never saw it in person so I have no opinion about if it enhanced the appearance of the car.

I like '40 Ford coupes left alone. Chopped examples do not look good to me. Therefore, if a chop must be made, then 1" is a good number. Seems to be more a display of metal crafting talent than a meaningful improvement to the appearance of the car.

I get it alright but I'm with Tripper, it's still a stupid amount of work for a minimal result. I've seen those slight chops and still think they're a waste of time! Pronounced chops look so much better!

A pronounced chop can also RUIN a car. A '40 Ford Coupe done in a hot hod style with a 3" chop would look totally wrong. Now as a custom/taildragger - different story. The work done HAS to suit the style and flavor of the build for the car to flow, otherwise it looks forced.

Like I said before - sometimes showing a little restraint can give the biggest results. The Riviera was a prime example. Any more chop and it would have looked out of proportion and goofy, but that ever-so-slight amount was enough to put it head and shoulders above a similar car. Subtle changes can make a HUGE impact to your eye, whether your mind wants to believe it or not...

the preacher agrees with the devil on this one... [S

it is always about proportions...

.............but it is not always about radical;)

I have the book "How to Chop a Top" and in there they chop a c10 1" and it is awesome looking. Completely changed the look of the truck and well worth the effort I think!

That is the kind of stuff Chip Foose does. He has such a good eye for proportions he will take a little nip and tuck here and there and the whole car takes on a totally different look. Sometimes less is more. :D

Don

I gotta go with the devil too - a 1" chop seems like a waste of time, but I could see where it might make the car.

Its all about time and money.If you have enough of both then its no big deal.The guy that can pay ten guys to do his body work can be as radical or as subtle as he likes.On my budget its not justifiable.

Latest posts

Back