100 mpg

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
I was just dusting cobwebs off the gray matter and remembered an article I found on the internet a few years back about a car that got over 100 mpg. I don't remember the body, some little British thing that weighed about 1200#. The builder used a Mercedes diesel from a reefer unit, about 20 horsepower IIRC. That would be taxable horsepower, not brake horsepower. Anyway he kept the 5 speed and added a Comet clutch variable belt system, like a snowmobile uses, from the engine to the transmission. This gave him the torque multiplication needed for the small engine to get the car rolling. Around town he just left it in 3rd and averaged about 78 mpg in town and out on the highway about 110 mpg.

I've mentioned it a few times on here but look into maxx through mother earth news web site. They are using a three cyl kabota engine with a Toyota 5 speed and pushing 100

I seem to remember that.......not fond of small cars....I think it ended up here.....

attachment.php

The local Toyota Dealer was spotlighting a guy that changed out the battery in his Prius and drove from the east coast to the west coast using $10 in fuel. Something like that.

Latest posts

Back