114" wheel base question...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikes686

i quickly measured my 47 dodge pu wheelbase this morning before going to work. she is 114 inches,.i want to bob the bed but if i go with a 48" bed i will need to shorten to frame 32" giving me a 92" wheelbase. does that sound short?? should i lengthen the front end a few inches? i want to keep the parallel springs in the front. i do realize the front will move a bit when i Z it (6").

I'd sure like to see how you fit a cab, motor, tranny, radiator, and front end in 92". I suppose if you put the front axle under the motor you'd get there. That's not the look rat rodders usually go for.

Most RRs are in the 110" + range, so yes, it sounds really short.

If I'm not mistaken, 114" is the typical wheelbase for a T-bucket chassis. 92" seems a little short to me. [S

Beercan

as i was early in the morning and my coffee hadnt quite kicked in, my math might be a little out of whack. i measured from center of hub to center of hub. i came up with 114". i want to shorten the bed< which is 6'8" or 80" to 48". so i need to lose 32". if i center the bed over the rear end, it would change my wb to 98". i havent considered the front end going forward. this is all in the planning stage, so any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

ohhhh, i get it, move everything back, the distance removed from the bed and leave the wb alone at this point. that would give me 16" up front? cut the bed, relocate cab, sound right???

Something like that - yeah. Not sure how easy moving the cab and motor would be, but probably no more work than a lot of other builds on here.

i havent considered the front end going forward. this is all in the planning stage, so any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike,
Do what the Rod Father, Donsrods, does. Build a mock frame outta 2x4's first to make sure all is kool & B4 committing to expensive steel.

BoB

It's an Ford Anglia Ute (coupe utility). Only made in Australia. 90" wheelbase. It's very cramped inside but I have driven it on 600 mile round trips a couple of times.

Latest posts

Back