1927 Chevrolet Jalopy project..."Chevrolopy?"

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the doors shouldnt be too hard. you have plenty of metal on the skeleton. I havent really looked at the doors you have so im not really sure how thats going to go. Definetly take a look at those bear claw latches.

I've been building T frames for a good many years. 1 1/2 X 3X 10 or 11 ga. tubing works just fine. When you're ready to do your frame, give me a yell. I'd be glad to help.

Youngster

I guess I should add that I'm about 45 minutes south of you right off 35W in Owatonna.

Youngster

Looks like fun.
Try not to let vocal spectators get you down. I agree with you telling your friend to have his buddy bring his work by to have you critique it. There are a lot of "experts " that have nothing to show for all their knowledge. You are right in the fact that now he will be one of the little voices speaking to you as you work. Look for inspiration and help from people that are "doers".
I'll be watching with interest as this project progresses.

Thanks
Alden

I checked the price in the Speedway catalog (didn't see them online) and the 1/4 elliptical springs were over $300 for a pair. Very cool- but probably not a real possibility for this build...unless I were to cut up some full length springs.
I do like th eoptions they offer as far as a front suspension goes- I hadn't considered it before.
I'll probably end up finding a transverse or full length pair of parallel leafs.

Jay

I got trailer springs from Tractor supply and cut them off, like $58 for the pair. I used 3x3 tube for my rear frame section and mounted the springs inside the frame by drilling and tapping a 1/2" plate that fit inside the 3x3 and using 3/8 grade 8 bolts.

Youngster- I WILL get in touch with you when I get to that point.
I'd still been kind of tossing around the idea of looking for a pre-existing frame that might work, but I think in all reality building one from scratch is going to be the best route to go.

Cadzook- Thanks for your encouragement. You are so right! The number of "experts" standing around with their hands in their pockets is amazing! They sure are quick to rip your work and then tell you how great their skills are right before they go drive home in their Corolla. (Nothing against Toyotas- just the truth in this case:D)

Willowbilly3- That's a good tip! I'll look into that as I get a little closer to that point.

Hopefully tomorrow night I'll have a little time to do some "cleaning up" on the body-skeleton. Definitely will be putting in some time this weekend. I'll bring the camera to the shop and get you all some updated pictures.

Jay

1927 Chevrolet Jalopy project... ''Chevrolopy

Man, I just love projects like this. here's a couple ideas for you to consider;

Did you get the third door? If you did, you could use it for the quarter panels. If not, some 18ga. and a bead roller and you could have them made up in no time.

Given the fact that you are working on a $3000 budget a model A front end set up on a suicide front cross member might be tha way to go. You can set it up with the spring on top of the axle if your wheelbase is getting long, or behind the axle if you want a longer wheel base.

Here's what a spring over the axle looks like, sorry the pic isn't better;

Cadzook- Thanks for your encouragement. You are so right! The number of "experts" standing around with their hands in their pockets is amazing! They sure are quick to rip your work and then tell you how great their skills are right before they go drive home in their Corolla. (Nothing against Toyotas- just the truth in this case:D)

Jay

I hope your not including me in that group! :(

and remeber I got my hands on Johhny's Old bead roller so we should have no problems making A fit B and match up to C :)

I think your goal is well within reach. Once you finish for under $3,000 you will be inspiring others to show that you don't need to spend $10,000 (unless you're building a trailer queen) Nice work!

very interesting

you are very entertaining. you weld a mighty pen your humor and wit is quick and funny ihave enjoyed reading your tale of the 3000,00 jalopy, more power to you your doing well on your project. my 2 cents robertbandit[P

Latest posts

Back