1929 Essex/Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another big piece of the project done, have been working on the interior for the last week. I had a bunch of second hand 2.5" foam padding from some old church pew cushions that found a new home as insulation for the cab. Instead of upholstering the interior I used white coreplast. I think it turned out pretty nice.

Head liner

Foam in for sides and back

I don't know how we could ever make patterns for stuff like this if we didn't drink beer. :D

Continued

Last edited:
Upper rear.

Interior put back in.

A while back jbendicott made me a very generous offer of a Ford 9" center section with some better gears for the time to come and get it Thanks greatly. Everything I read on line said if my diff had large backing plate nuts(3/4) then the axles would be 31 spline, the tag on my center section decodes too a a 28 spline, so I figured I better pull an axle before I make arrangements to go go see JB. Turns out they are 28 spline.

Last Friday I had to take the wife up to Saskatoon to the Doc and used my waiting time to visit the local wrecker, seems all the old 9"diffs have been sent to the crusher. The owner of the yard checked on line and found me a center with 3.50 gears and 28 splines out of FlinFlon Manitoba delivered for lees than he was going to sell me one for.

So we are are in a real abnormal warm spell right now so a test drive was just begging to happen.

Love Love Love it, I now have a bottom end that rocks and I can even have a conversation with someone in the car cuz it is so much quieter.:cool:

I have not found any 31 spline axles that have 5 on 4.5" bolt patterns. All the 5 on 5 bolt pattern axle are 31 spline and these are found in pickups.

Very nicely done Dozer. Glad to know you were able to find a rear end that works for ya.

Thanks jb, new gear ratio made a huge difference I put 50 miles on her yesterday :D

I have not found any 31 spline axles that have 5 on 4.5" bolt patterns. All the 5 on 5 bolt pattern axle are 31 spline and these are found in pickups.

I should have just talked with you OI instead of reading stuff on the interweb

Thanks

Looks good and I bet it sounds alot better with the head liner and the new gears.
I'm liking the warm weather lately but it's messing with my work schedule so I've made it home one day each of the past two weekends. I've pushed my project back over to the centre of my garage now and did some evaluating.
If all goes as planned (and it probably won't ) I should be home in nine days.
I'll let you know. Maybe it'll be nice enough to cruise into Speedy Creek with the rat.

Thanks Gunz, yup the weather this winter is sure full of extremes. Looks like we are back to the deep freeze for a while.

Time for some more repairs, found the axle bearings were not the best when I changed the center section out.

I'm down to the very short list now.

Axle bearings are done, those a real ^B#$%h with out a press.

Got both doors weatherstripped should make a world of difference on the sound level in the cab.

Wired up the cowl skulls into side clearance lights with some 2mm LED's from fleababy.

Nominated, best use of skulls on a rat.
Skull%20marker%20lights%20014_zpsxvi1qcbx.jpg

Mr Brown came for me today.

Will see how the new M/C takes care of the brake issue, and an Edelbrock tuning kit, I will probably be looking for advice on the later[S

A few people have mentioned I should have a shroud over the fan to keep the idiots from sticking there hand in while it running [S so I figured just my luck it would happen.
Great time to try out the new Cut 50 Plasma (which I love). Once again beer cases come to the rescue for patterns.

Picked up a 2'x4' sheet of 18 gauge steel at Princess auto yesterday for the shroud.

That looks pretty cool. Might actually help the fan to cool things to .. not to mention keeping nosy fingers out.

I gotta get me one of them plazma cutters.

Latest posts

Back