1930 model A Tudor Sedan Rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smiliey Smiles

Introduction to the Rust build

Guys, I'm going give it to you straight. As far as car building, I don't know crap or really have a cluewhat I'm doing.The main thing here is I want to learn as I go and have some fun. So if I'm asking it means I don’t know. So please don't bash me for complete stupid questions. I will be asking way more than a few I'm sure.

My history
I've built and swapped out a variety of motors over the years. I’ve changed out transmissions and fixed all of the smaller everyday car problems. On the other hand I've never built a Z frame; sit on body, set up a rear end or a front suspension. I never been around anything like that its all Greek to me. I do have all machine shop skills and years of paint and body work. I just need your knowledge of frame work, sitting bodies, any know how of setting up a 4 link correctly for this thing. Help me decide my front suspension for a bad human back. Most of all easiest way for me to do these jobs. I've been the grasshopper long enough time to get my feet wet.

1930 Model A Tudor Sedan at the sellers home in PA

You get to see it the same as I did. I took this picture before I walked in to see it.

12 Hours later at my home in NC

Along with the deal I got the front axel, two front wire wheels on it in beautiful condition, trunk box I've never seen before thats super nice, a custom Z frame rear boxed. The seller built it out of new stock, but I'm planning on channeling the frame. I can’t use the one he built, but the new steel is there to be cut apart and remade. I also got two mismatch head light buckets that are rat cool home made piece togethers that look like art. Along with new motor mounts, four brand new firestone airbags, a bench seat, the front window with frame and rear window. The prized possession is the original 1931 license plate and a tail light assembly.

More to come soon.

nice

looks like a good start[dr

as for ride, l know a lot of people here don't like l F S but for a bad back it is a great option for good ride quality. the after market mustang ll's are great choice. that is what l have on my 3Oish mopar with adjustable coil over shocks and it is a nice riding car.

motor/tranny/rear-end:confused:

ask away, lots of knowledge here and most are willing to share.

Later :cool:

Before you cut up that frame post some pics of it on here.
You don't "channel" a frame. You channel the body. You cut out the floor and lower the body over the frame to channel a car. Since your A has no floor you are half way there;)
If that frame is Z'd and boxed you will be way ahead if you can use it.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. Very nice group on here with a lot of knowledge.
Torchie.

Great looking body to start with. [dr We need to see pictures of the frame and other parts so we can make suggestions. Don't be afraid to ask. No question is stupid.

From reading your post my only thought was you shouldn't air bag it... It adds alot of complexity to a build... I speak from first hand knowledge ... If I Haden's bagged mine it would have been on the road a long time ago...

Last edited:
Yep. Need pics of all your pieces parts. Definitely don't go cutting up that frame just yet. As for a smooth ride, IFS might be the way to go. The thing is to get the wheels out past the motor so the proportions aren't messed up. Tube A-arms look way better than grafted on used arms off a s10 or the like.

So what's the plan anyhow? Chopped and sectioned? Keep it tall? Highboy jalopy? Low street rod? Just hope to get it on the road someday? ;)

Pictures of the frame an the extras.

Here is the frame and I will show you the problems I have with it.

In this picture taken from drivers side, looking forward you can see the motor mounts were welded closer to the left or drivers side of the frame. To me you should go an inch to right to make room for steering box.

The gussets were welded on the outside of the frame rather than inside.

The cross member was made from 3 pieces of scrap welded together then grinded somewhat flat.

I think its very usable frame. But having my machine shop skills and looking at this makes me a little sick. The kid was 23 and said he made it like that for the rat rod look, thats what he was going for. When you get to the head lights and the tail light pictures he said he spent hours putting all that together.

I need a little different finished product than that . First, I live by the coast so this thing will have to have some clear coat on the outside and inner body to not be a rust pile in 5 years. The enviroment here is harsh on metal. The look I want is for it to be low as possible with a good ride. My thoughts are a nice reliable undercarriage with the old body set on modern frame and steering. I can build the floor pans and channel the body from seeing pictures here and there. A wish of mine is not to cut the firewall for the transmission. I like the low long look the best anyhow, so it works for me to sit the motor out a little further to save my firewall. If anyone has pictures of anything like that I would like to see them. Post them here.

These following pictures is most of what all I got in the deal, some is burried deep in building from left over yard sale this weekend.

Tell me about this trunk box. It follows the conture of the body perfectly. Can anyone identify it exactly? Did it even come on model A. I can't find another like it anywhere on the net.

I think these head lights look cool but I want to drive this alot and that dosent look like somthing I want to ever rely on.

The Licence plate. I was told it was the original. The car is a 1930. Mabey not sold to 31. You can see more of this kids craftmanship on the tail light.
The red is a red thick plastic cut to fit. The bottom underlight for the plate was white plastic heated and shaped and bolted on. It works and shines bright though. He wanted a rat from end to end. I've seen projects like that. I love them they have so much chacter and you keep seeing neat different things here and there all over the vehicle. Just don't think it will work for me.

Here is the front axel and the wire wheels. The wheels are in great condition.

Here are the Firestone air bags and the motor mounts I got also.

The bench seat, the front and rear window and the bumpers only items not pictured now. I know I can't use the bench seat anyhow because of drive shaft but have a truck project that it might work in.

while the basic frame looks ok, I agree things like the gussets and trans/motor mounts need to go.

cut the crap stuff off, make better replacements, junk the lights front and rear.

make it your ride, you don't have to use the crap the kid gave you just because it came with the car.

a little re-engineering will go a long way to making this a nice ride.

make it your ride, you don't have to use the crap the kid gave you just because it came with the car.

a little re-engineering will go a long way to making this a nice ride.

Sometimes it is better to drop a little coin and get the stuff you want to build it the way you want.

Ditch the lights he gave ya, they aren't worth messing with.

Thanks Sunny Beach

Thanks Sunnybeach for that photo!

I've searched the net for a photo of just that. I wanted to see how it looked. I can live with that. I want it to ride good for my bad back, and looks will have to suffer a little for that.

Thanks again!

Today was Decision Day

I finally chose to do an all Ford car today. A tribute to the man Heny Ford! I'm going to fix the frame issues and try to keep it all ford parts on the build. A big ole ford blue and chrome motor will sit out there now. I secured a nice Ford 9 inch rear end with disk brakes today for $300.00. After that, I called my transmiison guy, to get a rebuilt AOD. He treats me like family on the quality of what he puts in it, price, and he backs with 100% warranty. I am thinking 351 Windsor or Cleveland for the motor. It might come down to whats in the motor pile when I can go to my child hood home in the next week or so. I also made some calls and I"m lucky enough to have buddys woth stock piles that say come look. So somthing will be going to motor shop in next 14 days. Any opinions welcome on the motor wnd why.

This is a nice looking start. I would personally cut the stuff off the frame you don't like and rebuild it properly. Also as others said ditch the lights.

I'm a Ford guy and love that you're going to use Ford running gear. I would personally build a Windsor, just for the fact they're a little narrower and with a good intake, decent heads and valves and headers, they're a dang powerful engine. Plus it'd be a little better on gas. Also if you go with a 351 Windsor use a can with a 302 firing order, they just seem to run much better that way much like a 302 with 351 firing order such as the 5.0 ho motors. That's just my 2 cents.

I look forward to the next update.

Need Help

Ok guys, I've got lots of questions for you. The first is about the 9 inch rear end I bought. Can someone translate the tag as much as possible and identify it for me in a way I can tell someone what I have, to buy parts for it. I did take out an axel and its 31 spline. I need to add the axel is 65 and 1/4 from wheel mounting surface to same other side. From the tag I'm thinking its a 3.00 gear. Whats your personal thoughts on this car with that gear and Ford AOD transmission. Also not looking to spend a fourtune on disk brakes. Good places to buy decent quility rotors and calipers for the best price or junk yard parts to look for works for me also. What year and car will have somthing that looks good works good what info I'm looking for.

different angle

Different Question

Ok I got the 9 inch and know going into this its not going to ride like and IRS. I'm lost to put what suspension under it. Remember I need a nicest ride I can get out of it due to bad back. I've decided to build a new frame so options are endless to choices. I seen these two different set ups on the net. Give me ideas leaf spring set ups, coils, shocks, where I shold be going with this and what to be thinking.

Thanks for you input. Lots of your pictures welcome.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back