1931 Chevy 4door into pickup.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been watching too! Amazing amount of work you are doing! Keep it up.

I've got a question for ya. Why not just put a steering box on the right side and do away with all the chain drive stuff? Are you doing that just to have it be different?

Great question WillyD. And it's kinda a simple answer. Space constraints. I used a firewall mount pedal assembly cause I had it lying around and there's not much space under the dash to have a steering sector so this was the best solution. Plus, I didn't wanna run cowl steering on this car like I did my last one. Sure, it's a bit more work but it'll make people say "WTF?"

More progress to report. Finally got my shifter fitted and boy howdy is it ugly. I've got a few ideas to pretty it up a bit. Also think I got an idea for a speedometer but you'll just have to wait and see for that. I need to finish up the tunnel where it meets the firewall but my eyes are starting to get sore after being awake all night. Anyhow, here's a couple of pictures of what I did today.

It looks like the tunnel is beat to hell but there's a reason behind that and when I do that, you'll see why I did what I did. And it won't look so funky.

And that's it until tomorrow.

Don't worry Sam, the shifter, at least the rod and handle, will be replaced when the time comes. As for now, the tunnel is fully welded in and now I'm working on my gauge locations. Like I said in my last post, there was a reason for smashing the top of it down. I had an old VW big dash and speedometer lying around. It was from a way long ago project that I ended up getting rid of cause I lost all my motivation. Anyhow, I used the speedo hole from the dash and made a nice little pod to mount the speedo in. Downfall to it's location, if I ever have to replace the speedo or any of the bulbs, I'll have to jack the car up and pull out the driveshaft but by god it looks cool. I still need to do the same thing for my air ride gauges and switches and I figure I'll start on that tomorrow, maybe even finish it.

Side view of the speedo pod.

Looking dead on.

And from the other side.

Until tomorrow, this is Josh from Endo's Garage signing off for the night.

Well, I didn't like the gauge pod that the air ride kit came with so I decided to hack it up a bit. Needed the slots for the toggle switches cause I am terrible with cutting tiny holes. Anyhow, made my own pod and I think it came out sweet. Wish I had room to have mounted it the same angle as my speedo pod but she looks perfect in her place. And it looks like I have just enough room for an ignition switch between it and the seat bottom. Next up is putting on the roof. If the sheet of 18ga isn't big enough I think I'll use the hood off of the donor Mercedes. I really think she's coming along well and looking more and more like a car everyday.

Roof is on...and so are some lights

So, I decided yesterday to mount my roof. The sheet of 18ga I had was a little short but because I have a bead roller with the right die, I was able to fab it up and it turned out pretty good. It's a good thing I'm not planning on painting it cause the body work to get it looking right would be a PITA. Now, onto the lights because every truck needs clearance lights, well, if you're me they do. I got these from a used to be friend of mine but some BS got in the way of our friendship and that's a whole other story. The cab lights came off of a 68 f-100 but I figured they'd be real fitting on this because they're cool as all get out. Anyhow, there's a bunch of the lights cause I was messin around with different lighting. I know which one is my favorite but please, tell me which one you like most.

Couldn't sleep today so out to the garage to play. Decided that the speedo pod looked a little lonely. Plus, I should probably run an oil pressure and water temp gauge so I made another pod to sit on top of the speedo pod. Enough room for just 2 gauges but really, what other gauges do you need?

Still need to cut out the holes but it's getting close to start of shift so it's time to wrap it up for the day.

The only thing better than your fabrication powers is your imagination [;)

I tried to find something that's not quit right [S nope can't find a thing :D

Great job !!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back