1931 Chevy 4door into pickup.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it's been a while since I've been on here. In fact, over a month!!!! Been busy with a few side projects that have taken up garage space. Got the Mercedes all stripped and cut in half to move around easier. Once I got all that done I had a paying project from a coworker. He's got a 66 falcon ranchero that needed floor pans and guess what, they don't make them. So I got that done in about 2 weeks as I was only able to work on it about 2-3 hours a day. The drivers side took about 35 hours and the passenger side only about 14. And then because he wanted to use some mustang seats out of a 67 California special, I had to fab up seat brackets cause otherwise it felt like you were sitting on the floor. Now that is done I'm back on the 31. Got the other door chopped and now working on the structural part. Going a lot smoother than the first even though this is the rougher of the doors.

Drivers side before I started

After getting some of the patch panels in

More patches

Drivers seat mounted

Here you can see the brackets I made. Just 18ga sheet metal bent in a pyramid type shape.

Passenger side cut out. This piece was all too rusted to weld smaller patches onto.

Forward section

And all finished.

After he got it back he said he loved the way it turned out and raising up the seats was a much better idea than bolting them directly to the floor boards. And it even made it a lot more comfortable.

Finally got back to work on the ride. Been plugging away slowly so not too much progress to be had. Anywho, got my hinges made and my doors hung without any binding. After that, got my engine and tranny in place and even the drive shaft. Well, most of the drive shaft, enough to start making my tunnel. So now, I need to get myself a bead roller so I can make floor boards also. Here's a few pics.

And I wish I had taken better pictures of the hinges I made but like an idiot, I got too involved and didn't. Anyhow, here's the few I did take.

What I ended up doing was using some of the hinges off the Mercedes, I made my own. That way I still had the brass bushings to keep the slack to a minimum. I took a piece, or in my case a few pieces of, 1/4" plate and using a brake bent them to 90 degrees. I then cut it however long i needed the 90 degree to be and welded the male part of the mercedes hinge to it. Once i had all that done I boxed in the receiving, female part so that I could bolt or weld that to the car. In the future I may do an editorial on how to make them using a left over hinge I have.

A little bead work

Finally ordered a bead roller from Eastwood. A little let down at the quality but for the price, you can't beat it. Strengthened it up with some 1" square tubing but the set screws don't seam to stay tight, especially on the drive gears. Also had to remove the adjuster screw and replace it with a grade 8 bolt after I retapped it but other than that it works great. So, I started to make my floor pan halves. I'll tie them together with the tunnel once I have both sides made.

I'll start making the other side tomorrow.

no bracing under the floor pan? Do the beads you rolled in the floor pan actually make it that rigid? Just curious

Put together some bracing for the seat back.

And test fitment.

And start on more bracing to apply interior panels to.

First panel in place. I'd do it all in one piece if it wasn't so hard to work with such a large piece but in my case, and limited tools this will be fine.

And cardboard cut out for the rear corner. The curves are a bit tricky to duplicate so it's a lot of banging after I get the panel into place.

And in this one you can see a few of the different panels I had cutout and molded into shape. My favorite metal shaping tool by the way, a dead blow hammer.

Panel below the window

And without the seat bottom in place.

And from above. Still have the other side to do from start to finish but at least I know what I have to do next time around.

And this one is the entire side finished aside from grinding down welds. But I may leave them for character.

Until next time, I'll see y'all later.

Latest posts

Back