1931 Chevy 4door into pickup.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As promised, the picamatures. The first one is the 4 bar set up. You will notice the rear most hole on the lower one isn't sleeved yet. Somehow I foresaw needing to heavily modify it. The second is how much(or in my case little) clearance I have between the tie rod and the crank pulley. Still waiting on parts from speedway to finish up the suspension so I think I'll start capping the front frame rails.

Well, didn't have time to start capping the frame rails today so I just did little bits here and there.

Finished welding in the upper bag mounts on the rear.

And seeing as I figured out how to make the lower bars adjustable, here's how it's going to go. Haven't welded everything in place yet just because I may have to make it longer or shorter.

Alright, so I'm still waiting for a few parts to come in to finish my front 4 bars and I can decide for sure where to mount my front bags. So today, I started to cap my front frame rails. Gonna haveta jack the front end up to finish the one side but the other is mostly done aside from the tip. I could have gotten more done but I'm starving and getting tired. Joys of working the graveyard shift. Here's the progress.

I'll hopefully finish up the other side tomorrow but we'll see. I have the joys of going to hunters-ed in the afternoon.

Well gotta admit...

there's a lot going on....just went over the build thread....gives it a real mechanical vibe.....the amount of holes is/are mind-boggling as to the welding required...drive on man....can't wait to see it finished....

Sort of a steam punk meets Industrial Revolution vibe.

It is very cool and will get lots of attention at shows.[cl

Thanks guys. I'm not really sure what steam punk is but the whole thing about this car, is above and beyond. Ya know Bama, a friend of mine said the same thing about the 4 bars looking like huge chains. I wanted to see if I could build something that not many have seen before. Something that pushed my fab skills to the limits and make me really think about what I was doing.

Thanks guys. I'm not really sure what steam punk is but the whole thing about this car, is above and beyond. Ya know Bama, a friend of mine said the same thing about the 4 bars looking like huge chains. I wanted to see if I could build something that not many have seen before. Something that pushed my fab skills to the limits and make me really think about what I was doing.

endicott my man you did it and then some, [;) bravo [cl

there's a lot going on....just went over the build thread....gives it a real mechanical vibe.....the amount of holes is/are mind-boggling as to the welding required...drive on man....can't wait to see it finished....

Sort of a steam punk meets Industrial Revolution vibe.

It is very cool and will get lots of attention at shows.[cl

All the holes in the four bars make them almost look like a giant chain! :D

endicott my man you did it and then some, [;) bravo [cl

Agree with all of the above. That setup sure looks like an overgrown bike chain.:cool:
Google steampunk and you will see what bobw means. I first heard of it when one of my daughters took my old welding goggles and a pair of ratty leather welding gloves of mine to wear to a dance.:eek:
Weld on.[;) [;) [;)
Torchie

Last edited:
I've been following along to see how this turned out [P
I have to agree with the crew, way better than a plain 4 bar [cl [cl [cl
:cool:

Wow Endicott. After what you posted on my build thread I had to come and look at your build. Gotta say, sure makes me just need to get to work and quit askin so many questions. What an incredible build you got goin on here. An insurmountable amount of work. Holy Mackeral. Love the suicide hinges and especially your suspension. I wanna do suicide doors on mine as well. Man that's a lotta work. You're a great inspiration my friend. Now.....I gotta get to work and start figgirin stuff out. I love following your build. [P You and Dozer are quite and inspiration to us First timers. Thanks and lookin forward to seein the rest of it. [cl

Parts came in.

Parts came in the other day so Im finishing up the front suspension. I think I've figured out how the front bags are going to mount, you'll juss haveta wait and see. Then, I can start working on plumbing my air system and steering. I have a feeling that I'm gonna run into some clearance issues with how the tie rod is mounted right now, it is the factory tie rod of course. Anyhow, here's how the 4 links turned out. I'm happy with them. Set caster at 6* at ride height, might need a little more, might need a little less. I really should look up what degree ford set it on the econolines. Anyhow, without any further ado, pictures.

And as a poll, I have a set of ford wire wheels that are going on this car with white wall tires. I can't decide if I should get them powder coated red or leave them rusted/lacquered. They're so nice as is but maybe a little bit of color would do this car well.

Your vision on this build is amazing. Depends, I think on how you're going to finish the cab and other metals. If you leave it rusty, maybe a little pop on the wheels would look good. I wouldn't over do it though. there's alot to see on the chassis and it might take away from the overall picture...JMHO!

"steam punk" would require rusty :rolleyes:
If the body is left alone and your work is getting painted by mother nature i'd have to say rusty, IMHO.

I would love to be there for your first trip out in public,[P:eek:

I would do the wheels painted red and then match it somewhere else on the car like say the firewall...[P

Got more done today. Started with mounting my air compressors. Just built a simple bracket and welded it to the bracket for the air tank. After that, ran to the steel store and picked up a 12"x48" piece of 1/4" steel plate to make my lower bag mounts out of. They're going to be mounted straight to the axle but I'll need to take them to work and use they're big brake to do the job. So that's all for today. Gotta take a quick nap before the ol' lady gets home from work.

And here are the wheels in question. I think I've decided to leave them as is for now and maybe in the future get them powder coated.

Yep....my niece did the same...

should clarify...responding to the steampunk comments....my niece asked me to get her some cutting goggles and a pair of welding gloves which she cut the fingers out of....was wearing some clothes kinda reminded me of the old Madonna outfits....guess it's true....it goes full circle....with a new spin on things....it was strange for sure.... [S

Man you are cooking on this thing....Nice

Got more done today. Started with mounting my air compressors. Just built a simple bracket and welded it to the bracket for the air tank. After that, ran to the steel store and picked up a 12"x48" piece of 1/4" steel plate to make my lower bag mounts out of. They're going to be mounted straight to the axle but I'll need to take them to work and use they're big brake to do the job. So that's all for today. Gotta take a quick nap before the ol' lady gets home from work.

And here are the wheels in question. I think I've decided to leave them as is for now and maybe in the future get them powder coated.

I think the wheels might be a bit understated compared to the rest....JMHO

Latest posts

Back