1933 Chevy Stock Car restoration chronicle

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great save

Wow John, that's a project that most would probably consider too far gone to even start on. You are doing a fantastic job with it. I'm glad you are saving it.

John,
I agree with Gastrick! Great project, great save & thanks for posting. I love the sign on the back of the car... "Stay back 500 Ft"!!! ; - >

BoB

Thanks for all the compliments and encouragement so far!

The best part about it, is it is REALLY low-buck. We're good at scrounging and most of the parts for this build have been either donated or purchased dirt cheap. One thing nice about obsolete racing parts, is the owners of such parts are usually just happy to see them going into a project car instead of collecting more dust underneath their workbenches.

We've got a lot of labor, plus a lot of "engineering time" into it (sitting in a chair, brainstorming, measuring, grabbing something you think will work from a shelf, determining it will require about four hours of work in order to be modified to fit, etc...is engineering time LOL). It's fun for us though...and we haven't spent but about $600 so far.

Hey John great project , I`d like to know how you split the conduit , I was thinking of tacking 2 pcs together so it won`t roll and splitting it on the table saw with a metal blade.

We bend the conduit to shape first, because it's hard to bend it without kinking if you do it after slotting it. After it is bent to fit properly, we use an air powered cut-off wheel to cut a slot along the edge that will fit up onto the sheet metal.

Slip the conduit up onto the sheet metal and tack weld in a few spots...then fill along the edge with a little plastic body filler to blend it in. When you are done, you get a nice rounded edge that is strong and looks a fair bit like it was original.

are making it road legal

there is two or three here in washington that has been done street legal,, one is a 40? ford and the other is a 34? ford,, me l have a 34 chevy body style dwarf car built in the mid 90's that l am making street legal,,l think that is so great when old race cars can be found and rodded or saved,, my dad and all his friends raced jalopys in the 60's and early 70's.. can't count how many l helped him and grampa build,, sent a 37 chevy and 40 buick and many more to the wrecking yard,, man how l wish l had'em now,, l have some old 8mm films of all them fellas racing on dirt from 1967 or 68,,so cool to watch,, them guys had some scary equipment compared to todays saftey stuff

racers

when I cam back from Nam [67] they crashed the 55 56 57 chevs so hard in stock car they had to shorten the driveshafts frames come together they were not much
we had a guy with a lengthened sprint with a automatic, street legal winged and bright yellow , 70 yr old and stoped several times the cops on interstate were not impressed even had current business for sponsors???

when the car crushing went on 30 yr ago to beautify america a lot of the stuff from the 60"s was crunched, including old stock cars, lots of iron in the frames and cages, some cars were real classics and a few survived

was going home last summer on gravel and met a old ford modified coupe stock car with full house flathead>> proabbly 125 hp some people save their toys another 70 yr old kid out for a road test???:p

I really liked reading this build !Looks like you guys are having a lote of fun!
Keep the pic's of the progress coming as ya can.

Yea it would be cool to see how that turned out. I always have thought it be cool to build a car like that just to go to nostagia races with. My uncle has an old super mod sittin in the weeds & a vicki body for it that'll never get finished, too bad. Good to see a piece of dirt track history reserected like that.

MAN!!!!!! What a cool build! I really love the old dirt cars. Reminds me of the ones that were around when I was a little kid. Amazing how many tri-five chevy stockers I remember. Absolutely teriffic build. I can hardly wait to see more!

Back