1933 Pontiac

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds interesting. Do you have one located? I haven't seen very many around. Kinda rare.

They didn't make them Pops, so they're extremely rare [ddd

:D That's right snopro
;) They didn't make a 33 Sedan Delivery either. Pontiac didn't make a sedan delivery until 49 so, I'll have two rare birds [ddd
Might be a stupid plan to build the pickup.
Maybe we should have a vote :rolleyes:

Well have you ever been punched in the gut :(
The nailhead began acting like it had a burnt or bent exhaust valve when I'd go to start it, so I thought.
After it would start it never missed at all which I found strange.
Ran a compression check to find number 8 cylinder down to 70 pounds of compression, no surprise.
I bought a new exhaust valve and figured I'd lap the other valves while I had the head off.
When I pulled the passenger side head the other day, I removed the exhaust valve to find it not seating on one side OK bent right still no surprise.
This is when the punch came. The shop I had rebuild my engine didn't do a valve job, hell I don't think they even pulled the valves out or they would have notice the valve guides are worn slick out. The number 8 exhaust valve moves 1/16" from side to side.
I pulled the drivers side head and found the same thing.
I had to wait a week so I could post this without it having nothing but curse words for you guys to read.
They are on my deification list. What adds insult to injury is, the owner is/was a friend. He works by his self so it's not like he has hired help who might have done this and I waited 6 months to boot for him to build the engine.
I've always used another friend, Greg Mckinney Eagle Machine, to do my work but, was willing to let Jeff, Whites Machine, have a shot at one of the engines.
Can you guess who is going to get all my work from now on?
I accept this failure as my own and have learned a valuable lesson.
I'm gonna quit now because, the forum has rules about the language we use :eek: :cool:

Sorry to hear it OI. How many times do we hear this over the years on this board. I have seen a couple of times where people have been charged for an engine replacement and i am sure it was never done.
By shops they trusted of course.

Yea, Don just went thru a similar thing.
If I had of not seen the engine torn down, I would have even questioned the rings and bearing replacement too.
eMan, I hate this part of trusting someone. I done my own rebuilds for years because of this exact thing.

I accept this failure as my own and have learned a valuable lesson.

I understand what you're saying... but... friend or no friend, foresight or hindsight, the operative word is FRAUD.

I also understand a dentist charges a lot more than a machinist. (Just a random thought.)

sorry to hear this. I`ve had a "friend" or two like that, still makes me feel kinda "weird" thinking about that /them. After a lot of yrs they still ...oh well never mind. Karma is a b. I`m sure one day they will find out themselfs. It`s just another something you could have done without in the end.

Crank, fraud is the correct term.
I almost feel like i paid a dentist's price for this build anyway. There weren't any breaks on price when I paid him but, I didn't expect any.
Not only that but, the collateral damage is gonna be around $500 more with the new gasket kit and machine work.

I regret hearing this OI as I remember the wait for that engine to be done.
Back when I was healthy I would never hire out to have anything done. It may have taken longer but at least I knew what was done and how.
Now that things have changed if I do hire out it is never a friend. They may come with a friends recomendation but I always keep it strictly business.
It takes someone getting close to use a knife on you.........:eek:
Torchie

Well that sucks!! Tends to pi$$ a man off in a big way.
It seems like the best way to end a friendship is to involve money and trust.
I remember the day a man's word meant something. Then again I am rather old.

After you get thru being mad, I hope it all goes well going back together with it.

I'm not expecting any more issues.
I never felt like the engine ran like it should have. It also had a slobbery sound to it when idling.

I agree with the sentiments O.I. It just stinks and I'm sorry for your misfortune.

The exact reason many of us here send stuff out is because we rightfully expect that someone is going to do (at least) quality work if not a better job than we can do ourselves because they have the tooling, experience, and do it every day, etc. We don't even mind waiting a little longer than expected since we are an understanding lot who wants the shops we work with to turn a respectable profit due to their integrity.

I've seen both sides in my life's experience: the guy who feels the extra pressure to do well since it's not only coming out of his shop but the job is also going to "a friend", and the guy who shortcuts someone because the customer openly trusts him and he therefore feels he has nothing to prove and "they'll never notice." More often than not, I've seen the latter and the ones duped are paying a premium to boot because of the relationship they think they have. Just shameful.

Stay strong.

[Edit: It's also worth noting that my strongest professional relationships were professional first.]

Thanks for all the support.
The sad part of this is, engine and machine work is all this fella has ever done.
I've known him since he was a teen and started working for an engine shop in town.
Where the failure was, while he had my engine for 6 months, he done everyone else work then, waited till the last minute to do mine. He most likely rolled the dice that the heads would work, just so he could get it ready for me to pick up the next day :mad:
Bottom line, I should have picked up all my parts and took them to Eagle Machine at the point where it had been over the 30 days we agreed upon.
Education is expensive no matter how you get it or how old you are :(

What exactly did this "friend" have to say about his shoddy work? No telling what else he half-a$$ed on your nailhead.

What exactly did this "friend" have to say about his shoddy work? No telling what else he half-a$$ed on your nailhead.
I've not said anything to him.
In contrast to my younger days, I don't feel it's worth getting p!ssed off about things I can't change anyway. I just won't go back.
Besides, I can assure you, as well known as this car is the word will get back to him and if he does ask, then it'll be the time for me to unload.
Yes there are some other things I will take care of while I have it apart.
It ends with this one and only shot he had at getting more work from me or any referrals.

Latest posts

Back