1934 Cadillac

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every time I open this thread I just shake my head and say this guy is just amazing.............

It is just unbelievable what you have done[cl
Although it does make me wonder what the phuck I am doing wrong[S

Beautiful just plain Beautiful[dr

I bolted the fender to the grille to get a clue as to whether the grille is even close to the right position. [S It looks like it will need to come down about 1/2" so that means I'll have to move the 1x2 crossmember I put in at the front of the frame. By sighting down the body lines and getting the hood gaps right I should be able to divine the proper location and shape of the missing core support (missing link :confused:)
At this point it's clear that the front fenders will need some trimmed off the bottom front edges as well as the chin below the grille so it doesn't hit the dirt when the air is out. I'd planned to do some mods to the fenders anyways like getting rid of the bumper holes, it'll also get rid of some of the chewed up edges. I'm also playing with the idea of lowering the headlights.

Attachments

• sept 19 11 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    sept 19 11 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 139
  • sept 19 11 34 cadillac 007.jpg
    sept 19 11 34 cadillac 007.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 148
  • sept 19 11 34 cadillac 001.jpg
    sept 19 11 34 cadillac 001.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 128
  • dec 20 10 34 cadillac 025.jpg
    dec 20 10 34 cadillac 025.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 154
  • dec 20 10 34 cadillac 025zz.jpg
    dec 20 10 34 cadillac 025zz.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 142
Took a week off, now back to assembling the front end and figuring out how to make the core support and grille shell mount. After digging through the Caddy parts pile I found I actually do have the center strip (arrow) that holds the hood halves together,:) now I just need to source the pieces that rivet to the hood sides and slide into the center strip - hopefully 30's Chev or Ford pieces may be close enough to work.

Attachments

• sept 30 11 34 cadillac 003.jpg
    sept 30 11 34 cadillac 003.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 98
  • sept 30 11 34 cadillac 001.jpg
    sept 30 11 34 cadillac 001.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 91
  • sept 30 11 34 cadillac 010a.jpg
    sept 30 11 34 cadillac 010a.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 110
The ol Cad is lookin fine [cl
I vote for the head lights high cause, I like the park lights underneath [dr jmho
They won't look so high when you take a pic of the front end standing up instead of kneeling down :cool:

Jim

I personally like the headlights tucked down low.

That Caddy really is an impressive car with the front fenders in place!

I used a cheap laser level to help get my side lines of the hood/fenders aligned with the body lines.

Funny you should say that, I used mine today to check the alignment and found it pretty much bang on what the ol' eyeballs were telling me :D I also set up a string line down the center of the body to get the grille centered. Sometimes the simplest tools give the best results......

The ol Cad is lookin fine [cl
I vote for the head lights high cause, I like the park lights underneath [dr jmho
They won't look so high when you take a pic of the front end standing up instead of kneeling down :cool:

Jim

I hear you on that, I really don't want to lose the headlight stands and park lights, I want to make them the turn signals anyway. I just like the look with them lowered :rolleyes:, I may just settle for trimming the lower edge of the grille and fenders. Also once I make a bumper and mount the bottom edge of it even with the lower grille edge that should make the front end look less tall. I do have a thing for the worms eye view pics though, here's a couple pics from human level.

Attachments

• dec 20 10 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    dec 20 10 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 89
  • dec 20 10 34 cadillac 001.jpg
    dec 20 10 34 cadillac 001.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 91
In the front on view, I like em either way. Kinda depends on how they look from the side. I do like the small parking lights too - it would be a shame to loose them.

Wow your pics were messing with my mind... There is snow on the ground in them. I'm like how far north is he. Can't be pics for today. Car looks really good. I like it very much.

Oops, I missed the part about fighting snow already. We're still sitting at 100+, hard to imagine it snowing somewhere else.

I vote for the parking lights.

Chill out fellers (pun intended), those pics are from last December. This 'ain't Alaska.:D Snow doesn't usually show up 'till the end of November. That was the first mock up assembly I did, things were held together with vise grips and baling wire, doors held with tabs and no floor - you'll notice the front end is kinda crooked too and it's a little crosseyed.
So much fab yet to do some days I get bummed about the long road to completion...:( then I take a look back at what I started with and what's done already and things seem a lot brighter ....:)

Attachments

• dec 20 10 34 cadillac 021.jpg
    dec 20 10 34 cadillac 021.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 88
  • aug 22 10 34 cadillac 003z.jpg
    aug 22 10 34 cadillac 003z.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 83
  • aug 22 10 34 cadillac 005z.jpg
    aug 22 10 34 cadillac 005z.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 83
  • sept 5  11 34 cadillac 022.jpg
    sept 5 11 34 cadillac 022.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 88
  • sept 19 11 34 cadillac 007.jpg
    sept 19 11 34 cadillac 007.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 92
  • sep 06 10  34 cadillac 009z.jpg
    sep 06 10 34 cadillac 009z.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 79
  • sep 06 10  34 cadillac 006z.jpg
    sep 06 10 34 cadillac 006z.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 81
Oops, I missed the part about fighting snow already. We're still sitting at 100+, hard to imagine it snowing somewhere else.

I vote for the parking lights.

Oh crap it's hot there, I was in Yuma last week, 43 C (115 F) yeeouch :eek: !! Up here winter is rod building season, no bugs to get in the paint. (Not too keen to drive in the snow on salty roads). Dunno if I could get any work done in that southern heat, be hanging around the cooler all day :D

That Caddy has to be one of the best looking cars I have ever seen.It will be well worth the work when done.You sure are a master fabricator.Great Job!!
Here in southeast we do not have heated shops.When it gets below 50 degrees we run inside and stay until spring.:D
I love the heat and humidity of summer,but winters are miserable here.Seems like ever winter is colder than the last down here.It is down to 47 tonight.:eek:Chills me to the bone.
Anyway,That is one sharp Caddy.I am going to use big rims like you have on my next project.
thanks,rex

Man I wished you could find a way of not loosing that v'd chin on the grille, it's awesome [dr

Jim

Attachments

• dec 20 10 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    dec 20 10 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 43
Hey ZZ. Here's a small brainwave. Take the whole assembly, flip it to the opposite side, and attach to the grill shell. Or did you try that already? Something like this,

zzscaddy-Copy.jpg

Hey ZZ. Here's a small brainwave. Take the whole assembly, flip it to the opposite side, and attach to the grill shell. Or did you try that already? Something like this,

I think that looks good. It will probably be a lot harder to do in real life, but it does look way better than stock to me.

Latest posts

Back