1934 Cadillac

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey ZZ. Here's a small brainwave. Take the whole assembly, flip it to the opposite side, and attach to the grill shell. Or did you try that already? Something like this,

Good photoshop Dr.C ![cl That is definitely something to consider - I'm going to be installing a Hagans frenched lite kit in the headlight pods so re-orienting the bulb position is no problem - I'll take a look at it tomorrow - the pedestals are die cast aluminum so it may be possible to sand the bases down to conform to the grille shell profile...[S

Finished making the core support / grille mount that locates the front fenders also as well as the mounting points for the bracing rods that run from the firewall. It ended up with a big lump in it at the bottom to clear the steering so to get a decent size radiator in, it will have to be on a slant, no biggie. Now to fix up the front fenders, banging out dents etc., then I'll finish mounting them. Started with some rust repair on the pass. side fender.

Dr C, the idea for mounting the headlights to the grill shell is not looking too hopeful, the stands are a foot long on the base and just won't fit to the grille sides right.... oh well......

Attachments

• oct 5 11 34 cadillac 003.jpg
    oct 5 11 34 cadillac 003.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 112
  • oct 5 11 34 cadillac 004.jpg
    oct 5 11 34 cadillac 004.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 114
  • oct 5 11 34 cadillac 005.jpg
    oct 5 11 34 cadillac 005.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 113
  • oct 5 11 34 cadillac 008.jpg
    oct 5 11 34 cadillac 008.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 112
  • oct 5 11 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    oct 5 11 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 122
Finished the rust repair and changes to the pass. side fender, filled the bumper hole and trimmed a couple inches off the bottom front lip. [;) Now for the drivers side - I was thinking - jeez, this fender weighs more than the other one :confused: (not that either is light!) - no doubt, there's a big blob of lead up front as well as some other spots. Since this car has been off the road since 1939, that is some ancient repair job - a testament to the longevity of lead repair. Still, it will need to come off to fill the bumper hole plus the other areas of lead have been beat up and abused in the many years since it was done.

Attachments

• oct 7 11 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    oct 7 11 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 99
  • oct 7 11 34 cadillac 003.jpg
    oct 7 11 34 cadillac 003.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 98
  • oct 7 11 34 cadillac 005.jpg
    oct 7 11 34 cadillac 005.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 98
Dr C, the idea for mounting the headlights to the grill shell is not looking too hopeful, the stands are a foot long on the base and just won't fit to the grille sides right.... oh well......

That's funny, it looks good on paper. [S

To quote a rookie engineer I used to work with, "It has to work. Did you look at my drawings?" :confused:

Yeah, I looked.......and threw them in the garbage. :D..........[;)

That's funny, it looks good on paper. [S

To quote a rookie engineer I used to work with, "It has to work. Did you look at my drawings?" :confused:

Yeah, I looked.......and threw them in the garbage. :D..........[;)

I haven't totally given up on the idea - I'm hoping for one of those 'light bulb moments' of inspiration. :rolleyes: Possible options: Whittle new stands out of billet :(, Fab steel ones [S, or a real stretch - learn casting and pour some ginchy neato made to fit ones. :cool: All are more work than I want to think about right now..........

looking good.

how are you going to remove the lead, torch?

At this point I'm just sanding it off (wearing a mask). I took half a pound of lead off this one spot - seems that filling big dents with filler is not just an idea that came along with the invention of Bondo - someone just slapped the lead onto some 1/4" deep dents instead of ironing it out some more. Some time with the hammer and dolly and a 1" long weld to the crack and it looks a lot better.

Attachments

• oct 7 11 34 cadillac 005.jpg
    oct 7 11 34 cadillac 005.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 78
  • oct 8 11 34 cadillac 001.jpg
    oct 8 11 34 cadillac 001.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 79

Jeez, those bases are BIG, and more complex than seen from the worm position. Another fine example of Cadillac excess. :eek:

I haven't totally given up on the idea - I'm hoping for one of those 'light bulb moments' of inspiration. :rolleyes: Possible options: Whittle new stands out of billet :(, Fab steel ones [S, or a real stretch - learn casting and pour some ginchy neato made to fit ones. :cool: All are more work than I want to think about right now..........

Hows about rollin' down to Lordco, and askin' the pimple-faced kid for a pair of headlamp torpedo buckets for a 1934 Caddy Lasalle? And the zinc-alloy stanchions, the gaskets, some 23/64ths buttonheads, a box of 1/4'' stovebolts and a pound of brass buck rivets. Tell him to enter "ginchy" in his computer, and they should pop right up. :D

1934-cadillac-lasalle-front.jpg

Several days spent pounding on the front fenders, lotsa old damage, repaired the rust and filled the bumper holes. Hiding under 3 lbs. of lead on the drivers side fender was a twisted, lumpy mess from a repair done in the 30's along with a poorly aligned gas welded seam that ran from the bottom of the font edge all the way up beside the headlight. :mad: It's far from perfect but much improved now. :)
I made a new lower grille shell piece, the old one was beat, holey and paper thin. Shaved a couple inches off the bottom of the fenders and the center piece to keep it off the ground and for less of a Jay Leno look. :rolleyes:
Fenders are fully mounted now, some adjusting needed yet to get the hood straight.

Attachments

• oct 14 11 34 cadillac 011.jpg
    oct 14 11 34 cadillac 011.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 189
  • oct 14 11 34 cadillac 007.jpg
    oct 14 11 34 cadillac 007.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 167
  • oct 14 11 34 cadillac 031.jpg
    oct 14 11 34 cadillac 031.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 170
  • oct 14 11 34 cadillac 017.jpg
    oct 14 11 34 cadillac 017.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 192
  • oct 14 11 34 cadillac 013.jpg
    oct 14 11 34 cadillac 013.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 183
  • oct 14 11 34 cadillac 009.jpg
    oct 14 11 34 cadillac 009.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 172
It just keeps looking better and better. Did you take that high angle shot from the garage roof?

Thanks Bob - heh, heh, no - that pic was taken standing on the trailer beside it.

Attachments

• oct 14 11 34 cadillac 024.jpg
    oct 14 11 34 cadillac 024.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 89
  • oct 14 11 34 cadillac 029.jpg
    oct 14 11 34 cadillac 029.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 111
  • oct 14 11 34 cadillac 023.jpg
    oct 14 11 34 cadillac 023.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 85
attachment.php
wow.. that front end looks great all put together..I think one of the most amazing things about this build is how well you've hidden all the slicing and dicing that you had to do to get to these proportions..awesome

took some vision to get from this to where it is now

Last edited:
Outstanding rat

Man what fine work.[dr I looked at the pictures from when you brought it home and said to myself "ain't no way". The design is great and so is the workmanship. I thought my project was big. It is sure cool to see determination at its best. Hope to see it in its driving, unfinished condition down around Portland some time. You are an inspiration.:rolleyes: I am sure you will keep it up. Later Steve

Thanks guys, and to think, it's only taken a year to get this far...:( I don't know about inspiration or vision... probably more to do with plain ol' stubbornness .
Next project is to make runningboards - these crispy crustations are what's left of the originals. :eek: I picked up a sheet of 16ga. steel to make new ones from - fortunately my brake is 6' long, the boards are 70"

Attachments

• oct 14 11 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    oct 14 11 34 cadillac 002.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 84
  • oct 15 11 34 cadillac 001.jpg
    oct 15 11 34 cadillac 001.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 91
  • oct 15 11 34 cadillac 004.jpg
    oct 15 11 34 cadillac 004.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 76
ok i hate you.....actually im just very jealous............hate is such a strong word,anyways i absolutely love your build,although i will prob never come across a 34 caddy you have given me inspiration for my next build after my 41 is done......................the work you have done is great,i will be following thias closely.keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11[dr [P[P[P

Wow I must say that is one awesome ride. It takes time and talent with neither I have. Looking foward to the finished ride. Even tho I don't think we ever finish them. Keep up the great work !!!!

Latest posts

Back